Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Amal 276 Air valve

Forums

Hi All

Can you please tell me how the air valve works on a Amal 276. On my bike the air valve cable has zero free play and when cable is removed from the lever it has a further 1cm before any free play is found, I this normal?.

Also when the lever is in the closed position, and then you open the throttle wide open you can then see the air valve but when the lever is fully opened and the throttle is wide open the air valve is not seen and the carb is full bore with no obstruction. Again is the right?

This is all new to me so sorry if this is a very obvious question. And I hope what I am saying makes sense.

If the cable has no slack then its likely that the air valve does not sit fully down, not ideal as turning the bars will affect it and full range of operation will not be there. May be possible to cut off a few mm off the outer cable if the cable outer does not pull tight when bars turned.Otherwise order a longer cable.If we are talking about a choke cable then it may not matter much anyway.

I think Barry is talking about the choke slide, and what Barry is describing is correct.

When the lever is closed the choke is on and the choke slide should be down at the bottom of the carb so when you look into the carb intake the choke slide will be seen at all throttle openings. When you open the choke lever the choke slide rises to the top of the carb and is out of the way, and canât be seen ie off!

Slack or free play on the choke cable isnât essential so long as you can open and close the choke, there is naturally no free play when the choke is off as the cable is under tension holding the slide up.

To be honest I donât have a choke slide and the bike starts fine!

Hope that helps

dan

Dan Thank you so much.

Don't laugh to loud, but now I know why my plug is fouling and the bike runs better with the air valve lever fully open.

I thought it ran betterwith the choke on (lever right back) and the bike was notset up correctly. Now I know how its supposed to be.

Previously Dan Field wrote:

I think Barry is talking about the choke slide, and what Barry is describing is correct.

When the lever is closed the choke is on and the choke slide should be down at the bottom of the carb so when you look into the carb intake the choke slide will be seen at all throttle openings. When you open the choke lever the choke slide rises to the top of the carb and is out of the way, and canât be seen ie off!

Slack or free play on the choke cable isnât essential so long as you can open and close the choke, there is naturally no free play when the choke is off as the cable is under tension holding the slide up.

To be honest I donât have a choke slide and the bike starts fine!

Hope that helps

dan

If you ride in very cold weather a choke slide will help with starting and the first hundred yards of running but you usually have to pull up the choke a bit once started otherwise the motor will "hunt" and plugs may foul up.Flooding with a tickler is a bit of a fire risk and you can also wet the Mag, Its considered that a bike that starts easily without using the choke is probably running a bit rich when warm and a bit of "tuning" is needed. My 99 does not have easy access to the tickler and starting without a choke would be exhausting , Its all a bit hit/miss with old bikes ,thats the fun!, strange lot arn't we.

Thanks Robert.

As you say all part of the fun. I am nearly there with understanding the quirks of these beautiful machines

Previously robert_tuck wrote:

If you ride in very cold weather a choke slide will help with starting and the first hundred yards of running but you usually have to pull up the choke a bit once started otherwise the motor will "hunt" and plugs may foul up.Flooding with a tickler is a bit of a fire risk and you can also wet the Mag, Its considered that a bike that starts easily without using the choke is probably running a bit rich when warm and a bit of "tuning" is needed. My 99 does not have easy access to the tickler and starting without a choke would be exhausting , Its all a bit hit/miss with old bikes ,thats the fun!, strange lot arn't we.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans