Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Absolute nightmare with a 2010 model

Hello all,

I find it important to share with you my very unpleasant experience with a 2010 Norton Commando 961 Cafe Racer.

As you may know, these models are protoypes that should not have been sold to customers.

Since I have bought my second hand bike in September 2012, I face endless problems that have involved from my side an important waste of time and money.

I and Egli Racing in Switzerland have probably done our best to make the bike work but my opinion has definitively changed this week-end with a new major breakdown that makes me say this bike is a real nightmare.

I have made 4 trips to Egli Racing 350kms far from my place in France to solve oil leaks, injection programming issues, starter and ECU issues, and then injection programming again.

During my last stay at Egli's 2 weeks ago, Egli has also fixed a major default of the 2010 series involving hydraulic press opening the valves (translation probably is approximate).

And what happened two days ago ? One of this 2 hydraulic press broke down, which could have involved a serious engine damage... and left me stuck in the rain

250kms far from home.

After 9 monthes of intense struggle to make the bike work, I should say I have no other solution to ask Norton to refund me or to change it.

It is deeply unacceptable to have a 20000 euros bike which is not able to ride 200kms in a row.

It is very unpleasant to be sold a 20000 euros a prototype bike.

Another guy in my regions has bought a 2012 model, he also faces endless problems and gets very disapointed and angry (he waited 1 1/2 year to get his bike).

I can tell you that Norton's image is very bad over here...

I am very interested, from an engineering point, to hear an explanation from the manufacturer. Mr Kynnersley has previously commented on this subject, might be worth sending a personal message, it's possible he hasn't kept up with this thread.

I am also very interested, but from an owners point, to hear an explanation. There are now 4 cases of high oil consumption on the message board - a fairly high ratio I should think. It would only be fair of Norton to let owners know if a sub-standard batch ofparts have beeninadvertently used or if there isa design fault. Personally I have not yet gathered enough data tohave an accurate figure of my bikes oil consumption, but the signs are not looking good.

Dear Gabriel I don't know if you know but we have had a large Motorcycle show over the last week and when I spoke to Sean at the show he appeared very busy, I dare say he will get in touch very soon.

Paul.

I have not had any problems with high oil consumption with my 961 Sport. I have had the bike for almost 3 years and completed over 5,000 miles and check the oil level frequently. It is important to check the oil correctly after it has been run and I have never found it to be lower than half point on the dipstick. I have not done any accurate tests of how much oil it is using but it is well under 1 pint per 1000 miles. I have only managed around 700 miles this year due to a shoulder injury early on. However I have not had to top up at all as the level has never droppedabove half way on the dipstick. It uses no more oilthan my BMW S1000RR for example or any of the other modern bikesI have owned.

John Mc

Hello John

I am happy to hear that your bike is not suffering from excessive oil consumption. This is nice for you and also good news for the owners (like me) of bikes obviously having these problems.

I know at least one more rider personally who has the same problems with his bike as me. This sums up to five riders who mentioned (up to now) an extremely high oil consumption in this thread. It seems to be at least one serie of production that has this sort of problem. The fact that your bike does run normally means that there must be a remedy to the problem.

Raphael

Previously raphael_vonaesch wrote:

Hello John

I am happy to hear that your bike is not suffering from excessive oil consumption. This is nice for you and also good news for the owners (like me) of bikes obviously having these problems.

I know at least one more rider personally who has the same problems with his bike as me. This sums up to five riders who mentioned (up to now) an extremely high oil consumption in this thread. It seems to be at least one serie of production that has this sort of problem. The fact that your bike does run normally means that there must be a remedy to the problem.

Raphael

Hi Raphael, I hope that Norton can find a solution to your problem. They have always responded swiftly to any questions or faults I've had. I had a couple of small problems with my bike in the first couple of months, probably as it was one of the first production units. Norton came and collected the bike and it was returned within a week all sorted.

I don't cover long distances in one day on my 961, probably no more than 200 miles round trip. Most of the time it's only around 100 miles in a day although I have had a few trips of up to 300 miles a day. I have no oil leaks and there is no excesssmoke from the silencers. However I also have a MK3 850 ES Commando(40,000 miles)and ridden the same way that does use oil and I have to top up between oil changes.The850 goes vey wellso I don't intend to replace anything even though it does use a bit of oil.

John Mc

Previously john_mcnicoll wrote:

I have not had any problems with high oil consumption with my 961 Sport. I have had the bike for almost 3 years and completed over 5,000 miles and check the oil level frequently. It is important to check the oil correctly after it has been run and I have never found it to be lower than half point on the dipstick. I have not done any accurate tests of how much oil it is using but it is well under 1 pint per 1000 miles. I have only managed around 700 miles this year due to a shoulder injury early on. However I have not had to top up at all as the level has never droppedabove half way on the dipstick. It uses no more oilthan my BMW S1000RR for example or any of the other modern bikesI have owned.

John Mc

I wonder how long them crankshafts lasts

and do they end up like this one on Norton workshop bench ,

Attachments picture-193-jpg

Anna

You have put no explanation of this crankshaft.

I hope you haven't posted a photo obtained on a factory visit.

I would view that as a disgraceful and treacherous act, and a complete betrayal of the trust which is freely given on factory tours.

Previously anna jeannette Dixon wrote:

Previously john_mcnicoll wrote:

John Mc

I wonder how long them crankshafts lasts

and do they end up like this one on Norton workshop bench ,

yes Anna an explanation please as I can see no obvious cronic failure from your posted picture and indeed no background to indicate it was taken in the factory, I do hope that you have not been inflicted with Simons' condition.

My arguments are based on engineering fundamentals and current engineering practices, so your implications are totally unfounded.

Why not try giving some advice to the members who are having problems with their bikes, other than the nonsensical argument put forward by the factory that 350miles/pint is normal - for a two stroke maybe. Or another argument, which I can find no basis for, that oil consumption of 1000km/litre is an industry standard, which implies all the current motorcycle manufacturers have got together and agreed on that figure. Is a copy of the signed agreement proudly displayed in reception areas of the manufacturers concerned?

I think your suffering from a case of your perceptions being contradicted by the facts.

Previously simon_ratcliff wrote:

My arguments are based on engineering fundamentals and current engineering practices, so your implications are totally unfounded.

Why not try giving some advice to the members who are having problems with their bikes, other than the nonsensical argument put forward by the factory that 350miles/pint is normal - for a two stroke maybe. Or another argument, which I can find no basis for, that oil consumption of 1000km/litre is an industry standard, which implies all the current motorcycle manufacturers have got together and agreed on that figure. Is a copy of the signed agreement proudly displayed in reception areas of the manufacturers concerned?

I think your suffering from a case of your perceptions being contradicted by the facts.

Simon I'm not sureto whom the wholeof your post is addressed , but you were the first person to use the phase "industry standard". No manufacturer in their right mind is going to advertise that oil consumption of 1l/1000 miles is acceptable to them. But the fact is that this seems to be the norm. You are, as far as I can gather from your posts, a very knowlegable engineer, soperhaps you could explain where this figure has come from.

David,

Sorry, but the first mention I can find of 1litre/1000miles oil consumption was made by your self on 21st November when you stated that 1litre/1000miles is considered by the industry to be acceptable. Later you also refered to "tolerance". So what is this if not a standard? My following reply displayed my surprise at such a high "acceptable" consumption, or standard if you like.

The post was a direct reply to Terry Woods hilarious contribution.

Previously simon_ratcliff wrote:

David,

Sorry, but the first mention I can find of 1litre/1000miles oil consumption was made by your self on 21st November when you stated that 1litre/1000miles is considered by the industry to be acceptable. Later you also refered to "tolerance". So what is this if not a standard? My following reply displayed my surprise at such a high "acceptable" consumption, or standard if you like.

The post was a direct reply to Terry Woods hilarious contribution.

Simon,you are quite right andthank you for clearing that up.

..... and on that note, I am closing this conversation which has now become rather too long

Webmaster

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans