Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

961 Sport fuel tank

Hi

I am a new member and own a 2012 961 Sport.

The bike is at Donnington at the moment having some work carried out ( new clutch basket and throttle bodies)

I also have a problem with the fuel tank, there are ripples along the left hand side of the fuel tank of roughly8-10 inches in length. The bike has never been dropped and there is no external damage to the tank (paint etc is all good) its as if its been heated up and mishapen?

I am aware that some Ducatis with "plastic" fuel tanks had a similar problem. Is anyone aware of any other 961's with the same issue?

Regards

Kevin

You can read this, there does not seem to be a definate problem but I would be sticking to premium unleaded as that is more likely to be ethanol free. As we are now up to 10% in UK this problem is only going to get worse.

Green Meanies yet again !!!!

Previously john_holmes wrote:

You can read this, there does not seem to be a definate problem but I would be sticking to premium unleaded as that is more likely to be ethanol free. As we are now up to 10% in UK this problem is only going to get worse.

Green Meanies yet again !!!!

Hi John

Thanks for that made interesting reading,mjust popped into the last petrol station that I filled up in (BP garage ) they use E10 unleaded so that was possibly the problem? Surely Norton should produce a petrol tank to do exactly what it is supposed to do....hold petrol without issues. Super unleaded it is then. In the mean time I'm not sure how I'm going to get my existing fuel tank sorted, really detracts from the overall look of the bike.

Instead of blaming the fuel which is widely marketed, why not ask why the hell you have been supplied with such a poor tank in the first place? Norton do seem to have quality control issues which an over enthusiastic client base tolerate but which need to be addressed if Norton are ever to, dare I say, rival Triumph.

To be honest I'm getting a little fed up the whole Norton experience, the bike started playing up in September 2014. After god knows how many phone calls they agreed to look at the bike and said the work would be carried out under warranty.

They have had the bike since 14th November, got a call today and was told that it still has not been agreed with the warranty department. Watch this space!

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans