Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

961 price hike

I see that the 2023 961 Sport is now priced at £16,999 PLUS £750 for a bit of pinstriping , well that's my test ride cancelled for sure I will be sticking with my15 plate.  How on earth can you justify a £500 increase in price and all that for a bit of pinstriping . They are now taking the proverbial and It's a fact that they will loose a lot of sale because of their attitude , mine included.

Not many seem to be rolling out onto the roads eitherway. A quick look on "how many left" (albeit not a mega accurate site), shows 3 registered. 

It has been constantly pitched as a luxury brand product, with some exclusivity...to justify the price...but after they sent out a blanket email to everyone signed up to British Dealer News, inviting them to become Norton "Sales partners", that sounds like sales have not gone to plan and they're trying different avenues. Having multiple "sales partners" also rather waters down the exclusivity. 

And I fully agree, £750 for a pinstripe is an unquestionable rip off. Anyone have an idea on cost for a fully loaded up bike now ie with carbon, blacked engine, pin stripe etc....essentially same spec as a 2018 50th anniversary Commando would have been?

I bought my 961 SP June 23, mechanically everything seems fine. Since then I've had the rear hugger fall to pieces due to vibration. That was replaced at the first service under the warranty. In the last two weeks I have had two 1mm wide cracks appear in an inverted V either side of the number plate light and across the hanger. Norton have agreed to replace it under warranty. Has anyone else had similar experiences?

I understand that the full price of the 961 CR with upgrades (Corvid engine barrels, full carbon, stitched seat, pinstriping, polished cases etc) will set you back about £19,700. I have just worked a deal with Norton HQ on the CR. The deal covers all but the full carbon. It would be interesting to see if main dealers are permitted by Norton HQ to offer discounts that are close to 30%.

From just my perspective, there's little point in buying any bike that has design issues, so hopefully the new 961s are worth the extra. Look at MVs; lovely bikes and very expensive, but if it drops a valve, the cost of repair is so high, it's game over for many owners. The bottom line for me is this - I have to have faith in the bike and the builders, and I would not have bought any bike from Garner at any price, even if it was as cheap as chips. I'm not having a pop at people who bought Donnington 961s, I know that some folks have had very good experiences with these, and some not so good. I'm hoping that my carefully run-in 961s will be a good experience. We shall see.

I have a 15 plate Sport and it cracked the hugger after 18 months, then again around four years and I placed a bead of silicon underneath where it touches the swing arm, let it go off then re bolted it down but not too tightly and its been OK since, now at 22K miles. 

Also fractured the chain guard after three years where it bolts to the S/A ,repaired and plated for extra strength but decided to make a new one out of 2mm stainless which solved the problem. If your going to do the mileage I suggest you memorise the part numbers of these items as it will come in handy, or buy a carbon one. Obviously TVS have not sorted this ongoing problem, I just hope they have fixed other problem areas. 

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans