Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

961 Paddock stand and failed start

Hi there, First question and sorry if its been asked before but I couldn't find anything recent, I have a 961 and want to get a paddock stand but don't want to pay the £195 factory price, can anyone advise me on a decent seller / product please?

secondly 2 years ago my 961 failed to start just made a terrible clattery noise as if starter was not engaging with the rest of the motor. It went back to Norton, sorted and returned but I was told it was a failed starter solonoid. I didn't mind as whilst there they identified the paint was failing on a custom paint job and resprayed tank for no charge / no hassle. Last week went to start 961 and horror - same clattery sound, same non starting. E mailed Norton half expecting not to hear for a long while but received a call from Nick by 10am next day who advised this was likely due to a battery not fully charged and VERY unlikely to be a Solonoid issue and "Who told you that before...." Anyway battery charged overnight and (the embarassment of it) She starts first time! Have since spoke to another 961 owner who confirmed this happened to him - methinks I need to ride more! Anyway just mentioned it in case anyone else had similar issue.

Now where can I find a Paddock stand for sensible money!?

cheers steve

Yes , had exactly the same clattering sound recently when trying to start on a two and half year old ,low charged battery.New batterycured everything.This had already happened once before when bike was a year old and not been used for three months - clattering sound momentarily but then started OK and battery charged up after a decent ride.Best solution if you'renot riding regularly is keep battery charged using the convenient external charging lead tucked away under left side of seat.Can't help with paddock stand as I got the pricey Norton one when bike first delivered.

Previously steven_eccleshall wrote:

Hi there, First question and sorry if its been asked before but I couldn't find anything recent, I have a 961 and want to get a paddock stand but don't want to pay the £195 factory price, can anyone advise me on a decent seller / product please?

secondly 2 years ago my 961 failed to start just made a terrible clattery noise as if starter was not engaging with the rest of the motor. It went back to Norton, sorted and returned but I was told it was a failed starter solonoid. I didn't mind as whilst there they identified the paint was failing on a custom paint job and resprayed tank for no charge / no hassle. Last week went to start 961 and horror - same clattery sound, same non starting. E mailed Norton half expecting not to hear for a long while but received a call from Nick by 10am next day who advised this was likely due to a battery not fully charged and VERY unlikely to be a Solonoid issue and "Who told you that before...." Anyway battery charged overnight and (the embarassment of it) She starts first time! Have since spoke to another 961 owner who confirmed this happened to him - methinks I need to ride more! Anyway just mentioned it in case anyone else had similar issue.

cheers steve

Hello Steven,

I didn't think the factory paddock stand was good value for money either so I bought the Oxford Products OF821 paddock stand at a fraction of the price, it's very well made and does the job nicely. One thing to mention, don't leave the paddock stand bobbins in the swinging arm when riding the bike if you have the long silencers, the bobbins can hit the silencers and damage them!

Regards,

Andy.

In order for a battery to cope with the load of turning over the motor and starting the engine it needs to be in good condition. A fully cahrged battery will actually have around 13.4 volts. At around 12.5 volts it all becomes very marginal. So either lots of decent runs, 10 miles is probably insufficient, or simply fit a battery monitor. Lots of good ones available at all sorts of prices. I have a couple of ALDI ones. Yes ALDI. They cost under £10 and are first class, for both monitoring and recovering a battery.

As for a paddock stand try Knee Down. Their prices are frankly amazing. They are based in a unit at theMallory Park race circuit if you want to collect. HTH.

cheers steve

Hello Steve, Buy a hook type paddock stand Harris make a good one Got mine of ebay £30, good stet of bobbins M6 screw size,ebay again. just remember if you have the long silencers to take them off before you go for a ride, I made a simple sign that goes on my disc lock in the garage that says "bobbins muppet" as I have almost forgot once.

Regards

Paul.

... did forget the bobbins once , only realising when back from a longish trip - they were missing the silencers by abouttwo millimetres each side !

Just wanted to say, many thanks to all who replied! First time on the Forum and very pleasant experience it has been ! Thanks, Steve

Just wanted to say, many thanks to all who replied! First time on the Forum and very pleasant experience it has been ! Thanks, Steve

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans