Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

650SS exhaust and silencers on a 99

Forums

Hi

Could anybody let me know whether:

• 650ss exhausts and silencers will fit straight onto a 1962 slimline 99?
  • Is there any performance advantage in doing this?
  • Do they sound different?

Thanks in anticipation

Trevor Birkbeck

Previously wrote:

Hi

Thanks in anticipation

Trevor Birkbeck

You need to check the splay on the exhaust ports ,if this is the same everything else will fit, don't think there will be any noticableadvantage in performance.

Previously wrote:

Hi

Thanks in anticipation

Trevor Birkbeck

Hello The Silencers will fit But Not the down pipes and here why!

The First 650 like my manxman had a very different Exhaust system to the later 650SS they started being built in September 1961 , the Norton Manxman Started being built on November 7th 1960 Has The Manxman was for export only , and the right hand side down pipe was kinked in just above the timing cover at the front so the drive for the rev counter would not catch the pipe , The silencer were made in house at bracebridge street works And they had a welded long triangular bracket on the top to one side and a seam down both sides and they were shorter to the SS ones these measured 24 inches the SS ones are 25 inches then the exhaust pipes where full bore on the Manxman late a reduced bore was add for the 650SS models So there you are with a little bit of history on the 650 cc Models

Hi all, thanks for your comments.

I have just got the bike and it's been a bit modified. Twin carbs fitted as on a 650ss - it may have a downdraft head. The exhaust rings are different being a clamp arrangement, fastening the pipe to a screwed in stub, I presume.

The front brake is also interesting having been made out of 2 standard SLS Norton brakes back to back. The operating lever is reversed on the left side and a right hand side fork leg fitted to provide a brake anchor. I guess it's possible that it may be twice as good as a standard brake.

Cheers

Trev

Attachments DSCF1588.jpg

That's a downdraught head. I can't tell from the photo how the exhaust is fixed but it's ugly. I fear you might find the exhaust threads ruined. The brake is interesting. Can you post a couple of photos?

Good luck.

Alan

Hi Alan

Picture of exhaust clamp is attached. There is a drawing in the paperwork received with the bike showing threaded exhaust sleeves with 2 holes through to tighten them. Note the canting of the weld in the exhaust pipe to deflect the pipes into line with the bike.

Two pictures of the front brake attached. Offside plate is standard but the nearside one has been drilled for vents - these have been removed and some of the holes blocked up. Fork leg on nearside changed to offside type to anchor the the brake. It's a cunning use of period parts to provide a twin brake. Performance is not stunning but probably could be got better by getting the lever arm angles closer to 90 degrees. The trouble is that I've been spoilt by modern brakes and the CMA 8 leading shoe brake on my Egli Vincent.

Cheers

Trev

Attachments Exhaust-clamp-2.jpg

Manxman? I don't think Manxman Anna mentioned Manxman at all Paul Manxman. I manxman think you are imagining manxman.

Cheers, Manxman Lionel

PS. No offence intended Anna - we all love you dearly!

Your cylinder head has been bodged by a D.P.O. Norton never fitted exhausts using a clamp like you show - that was Triumph's way of doing things. I am sorry, but you are on your own fabricate and fix mission to get this one working.

Colin.

Previously wrote:

Hi Alan

Picture of exhaust clamp is attached. There is a drawing in the paperwork received with the bike showing threaded exhaust sleeves with 2 holes through to tighten them. Note the canting of the weld in the exhaust pipe to deflect the pipes into line with the bike.

Two pictures of the front brake attached. Offside plate is standard but the nearside one has been drilled for vents - these have been removed and some of the holes blocked up. Fork leg on nearside changed to offside type to anchor the the brake. It's a cunning use of period parts to provide a twin brake. Performance is not stunning but probably could be got better by getting the lever arm angles closer to 90 degrees. The trouble is that I've been spoilt by modern brakes and the CMA 8 leading shoe brake on my Egli Vincent.

Cheers

Trev

You will probably find, if you remove the existing stub fittings, that a normal Norton exhaust ring will screw straight into the head. Unfortunately, you still have the problem of getting down pipes that will fit! Good luck! John.

I would like to share John's optimism but I fear that once those horrible clamps are removed that you will find the exhaust threads are ruined. Never mind that's fixable (at a price). As has also been mentioned in other threads, getting pipes that fit correctly is something of a lottery. I have seen pipes that were useless from suppliers usually considered reliable. Good luck!

Returning to the brake. what hub is it and how has it been modified? I have never seen anything quite like it.

Cheers

Alan

Actually, I have taken off the pipes as they were a little loose, tightened up the sleeves, replaced the pipes and now they are as tight as one could wish. The threads don't seem to be damaged. I'll hang fire on replacing the exhaust pipes at present - I would have to get nuts as well.

I haven't taken the brake apart yet but it seems to have been made by cutting 2 standard Norton hubs down the middle, joing them together and using 2 standard brake plates with the fittings reversed on the N/S plate so that you have a twin SLS brake. The N/S fork ally slider has been changed for an O/S one to provide an anchor. A cheap way of providing a twin brake. Has anyone seen one like this before?

Previously wrote:

Hi all, thanks for your comments.

I have just got the bike and it's been a bit modified. Twin carbs fitted as on a 650ss - it may have a downdraft head. The exhaust rings are different being a clamp arrangement, fastening the pipe to a screwed in stub, I presume.

The front brake is also interesting having been made out of 2 standard SLS Norton brakes back to back. The operating lever is reversed on the left side and a right hand side fork leg fitted to provide a brake anchor. I guess it's possible that it may be twice as good as a standard brake.

Cheers

Trev

Hello Looking at your photo and I can see NGK spark plug caps on a magneto , these caps have a resistors fitted inside , and they will destroy your magneto in time , you need to get some spark plug caps with out resistors fitted , yours AJD

But don't worry about the time scale. I have in my glorious ignorance used NGK plug caps for at least 30 years without destroying the magneto. However, just to keep Anna happy I am gradually replacing NGK supressor spark plug caps on my bikes with non-suppressor ones (seeing as they don't interfere with digital telly they way they did with analogue ones).

Previously wrote:

Manxman? I don't think Manxman Anna mentioned Manxman at all Paul Manxman. I manxman think you are imagining manxman.

Cheers, Manxman Lionel

PS. No offence intended Anna - we alllove you dearly!

Hello Lionel Today I been to have my Norton Manxman .M.O.T ed!, It passed has usual ,So I been for a nice ride out the bike sound nice and rides nice handles a dream, now looking forward to getting some miles in , I have been invited the The Carol Nash Classic Motorcycle Mechanics Show Stafford show ground,In October So I will go But On a limited budget ,Has usual ,I will sleep in the Van on my air bed ,I be as snug as a bug in there, It should be a interesting show Yours love you all Anna J

Previously anna jeannette Dixon wrote:

Previously wrote:

Hi

Thanks in anticipation

Trevor Birkbeck

Hello The Silencers will fit But Not the down pipes and here why!

The First 650 like my manxman had a very different Exhaust system to the later 650SS they started being built in September 1961 , the Norton Manxman Started being built on November 7th 1960 Has The Manxman was for export only , and the right hand side down pipe was kinked in just above the timing cover at the front so the drive for the rev counter would not catch the pipe , The silencer were made in house at bracebridge street works And they had a welded long triangular bracket on the top to one side and a seam down both sides and they were shorter to the SS ones these measured 24 inches the SS ones are 25 inches then the exhaust pipes where full bore on the Manxman late a reduced bore was add for the 650SS models So there you are with a little bit of history on the 650 cc Models

Previously Phil Hannam wrote:

Has anyone donated to her rescue fund yet? It must have been a damn expensive holiday.

Hello Its a cyber Attack from some scum bag I have not been anywere but at work right hear home base it all false email someone got in to me computer and using my identity so hare my new Code Name Zaranna3 yours AJD Bs.Mech.eng

Previously peter_weait wrote:

HI Anna Have you got back from Turkey yet. regards Peter

Never even Been to Turkey a its the last place I would go, ! its all a ID scam Yours AJD

Never even Been to Turkey a its the last place I would go, ! its all a ID scam Yours AJD
SHAME would have loved the idea that AJD was lost in Turkey, just right for Xmas.
AO

Previously alan_osborn wrote:

SHAME would have loved the idea that AJD was lost in Turkey, just right for Xmas.
AO
Well the thing is I do not get lost anywhere has all we had, Has kids was pigeon pie too eat and there were homing pigeons too so we always find wee home is just like ET Home Home !!!! yours anna J

Previously alan_dawes wrote:

Returning to the brake. what hub is it and how has it been modified? I have never seen anything quite like it.

Cheers

Alan

It looks like the axle is a sliding fit in both fork legs and they are squeezed together. No pinch bolt. It must have a precision spacer between the bearings the way BMW used to set their taper roller wheel bearings but even BMW always used the pinch bolt Norton style.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans