Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

650ss with a commando tls brake cable ?

Forums

Hi everyone after a bit of advice gonna try make cables soon but just found out my hours are dropping at work so need to sort my bike out asap gonna go work an back on the 650ss as an every day bike,

hit a slight issue the other day got the levers with adjusters on them, fitted the clutch cable that works beautifuly,

And fitted a brake cable with the inline switch of a commando, only issue is the levers not returning from the bars,

and Im running flat bars, so it loops up through the yoke quite high (think its to long)

anyone else running a simillar setup, orignal mudguard, commando twin leader and vincent flats,

if so what cable did you order and from where could do with getting one ordered so I can get the mot done at the wekeend :) not bothered if it has a brake switch or not.

Other question is any tips to setting the actual adjustment up on the hub wondering if Im missing a trick there.

Cheers,

Tom

Straight bars never give good cable runs . I think RGM do some bar raisers which will reduce the drag on the cables as they run accross the fork nuts. I always alter cable lengths to suit,check length with forks extended and on full lock.Shoe springs OK?, cam spindles greased?,lever pivots free?.Shoe pivots free? Early Commando cable?, Adjusters on bar Levers not normal on Early Nortons. Sounds like you have non std brake and bar levers. Have to get cable made to suit.

Tom - if you search this site there's been lots of discussion on setting up TLS brake.

For what it's worth - I set the link rod with the back plate off the bike and on the bench and adjust it so both shoes start to rise at exactly the same moment. If everything is symmetrical it should be as good as any other method. The 'proper' way is to hold both shoes on with a spanner on each outer hex nut and adjust the link rod to suit. Sounds easy and others must manage but my way worked for me. Taking it all off the bike also gives you the chance to grease it all carefully without getting grease on the shoes.

Alan - thanks for note re: cable. Last time I checked all the ones I saw were too long. I'll measure up and see if the RGM one is better than what I have. Mine has a 'genuine' Commando one but it has to run outside the left of the stanchions rather than up through the middle. Quick fix for me and should work for Tom's MOT. It's never much bothered me but whatever I do the cables are annoyingly tight over the tops of the nuts where they eventually wear the plating.

I have noticed my twin leading brake on the commando is reluctant to pull off with any kinda tension, will see how it goes when I can use the bike,

second consideration, I make all my own cables, 'tis ot difficult, do you not know anyone who can make you a bespoke length?

kind regards

Thanks everyone really appreciate the advice Ill whip the front wheel off tomorrow and have a look got a day off thank god :D to get it sorted, an Ill try that re route on the cable to get it through the mot,

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks everyone really appreciate the advice Ill whip the front wheel off tomorrow and have a look got a day off thank god :D to get it sorted, an Ill try that re route on the cable to get it through the mot,

Cheers,

Tom

Previously michael_sullivan wrote:

Very nice, Fritz

Mike

Thank you Mike.

If somone is interested in the plate, I can supply the drawing in .DWG-format.

Fritz

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans