Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

650ss clutch cable adjustment

Forums

good evening folks,

I'm looking for advice on issue I have with clutch cable adjustmentona 1963 650ss.

Bought this bike recently so detailed gearbox/ clutchhistory isunknown, not had it apart.Bike came with correct cable for levers without adjuster (2 1/4" wire from nipple to sheave). Issue is that with gearbox end cable adjuster wound right out (~2threads left) there is still half a clutch levers worth of slack in the cable.

If lever and cable are correct then problem must be in gearbox clutch mechanism or clutch itself. Planning to strip the lot down this weekend so any pointers/ recommendations/ checks to makewould be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Could be the lever inside the G/box cover is in the wrong position, if you remove the inspection cap the lever end should be in the approx 4 oclock position and so close to the cover that it looks like its going to be difficult to release the cable end and the lever should not have much slack. If lots of slack the pushrod may be too short or clutch pressure plate adjuster too far out. You dont need to take the box to bits at this point.

Good evening Robert

Thanks for the reply, plan tohit the spanners in the morning and try and figure out what I've missed!!

Matt

Good evening Robert

Thanks for the reply, plan tohit the spanners in the morning and try and figure out what I've missed!!

Matt

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans