Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

650ss charging problems

Forums

I have a 650ss which is not charging the battery. The bike is fitted with a new regulator /rectifier unit and a Pazon electronic ignition. The stator and rotor are original. I have checked the stator output and am getting 30V ac across the 2 wires from the stator.I have also checked the resistance down to ground which is infinite

Can anybody tell me if the voltage measured at the stator is correct for the regulator /rectified unit (Areg one from Paul Goff).

Also what is the best way to check the reg/rec unit and any other suggestions to check the stator would be much appreciated.

Thanks

David

Previously david_metcalf wrote:

I have a 650ss which is not charging the battery. The bike is fitted with a new regulator /rectifier unit and a Pazon electronic ignition. The stator and rotor are original. I have checked the stator output and am getting 30V ac across the 2 wires from the stator.I have also checked the resistance down to ground which is infinite

Can anybody tell me if the voltage measured at the stator is correct for the regulator /rectified unit (Areg one from Paul Goff).

Also what is the best way to check the reg/rec unit and any other suggestions to check the stator would be much appreciated.

Thanks

David

Hello is it wiring up the right way though the amp meter live to go to frame everything on wires is negative so have you tried the live red wires to the frame has paint gets in the way and you have no connection think on these bikes are positive earth

Thanks

David

As both the above answers are total rubbish I suggest they are ignored.

The testing of the alternator can be done by going to the appropriate pdf on my web site. But your test is useful although as regards an output voltage this is not very useful, better to power a lamp-as per test on web site.

Testing of the A reg I can fully test these. If you send it to me with return postage (£5) I can test it.

A O Services

Previously alan_osborn wrote:

Thanks

David

The testing of the alternator can be done by going to the appropriate pdf on my web site. But your test is useful although as regards an output voltage this is not very useful, better to power a lamp-as per test on web site.

Testing of the A reg I can fully test these. If you send it to me with return postage (£5) I can test it.

A O Services

Thanks for the info, I will try the lamp test and confirm wiring tonight.

Thanks

David

A O Services

Thanks

David

A O Services

Alan

Can you tell me why the voltage reading is not very useful information ? Is this not an indication that the stator is working ?

Thanks

David

Thanks

David

A O Services

Alan

Can you tell me why the voltage reading is not very useful information ? Is this not an indication that the stator is working ?

Thanks

David

Right 'ere we go. Just about every Multimeter we would be using is designed to measure mains frequency 50c/s and the RMS of a sine wave. BUT from your bikes alternator we have a variable frequency some 60c/s to many hundreds. The wave form (form factor) I can assure you is disgusting due to the way the magnets wizz past the coils. Then there is the fact that voltage is one thing while 'power' is another. So if you test with a single beam from a headlamp bulb and it glows bright then you have 45W! and no arguments.

Modern cheap digital Multimeters also pick up ignition interference and then jump all over the place. If you have no electrical knowledge do not poses a Multimeter and even less understand how to use one, then you can still do a light bulb test and it will have a lot of meaning.

Here endeth the first lesson.

Thanks

David

A O Services

Hello like you all ignore the Norton Manxman 650 and saidthe wiring was all wrong well even Hayens Norton twins even got the wiring diagrams wrong for the 650Manxman and you do need a good earth on any motorcycle or cars or any vehicle that's a fact not rubbish and Norton twins are wired throughthe ammeter which should give you some indicationof charge or not if you put your lights on you get a reading my Norton Manxman650 is now updated to 12volts with a 12 volt ammeter and charges well and has had a 12 volt wiring harnessmade to the right wiring diagram and Sa41 lighting switch has standard on most 650s yours annaj

As we heard no more about this non charging fault and the reg/rect was not sent for testing we must assume that David Metcalf got to the bottom of this problem. Good.

As we heard no more about this non charging fault and the reg/rect was not sent for testing we must assume that David Metcalf got to the bottom of this problem. Good.

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner but I have been away for a while. Yes you are correct I did get to the bottom of the charging issue, it was quite simply a disconnected wire in the harness. Easy fix ! Thanks for everybody's help on this matter

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans