Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

650ss alternate mudguards

Forums

Hi everyone,Just working on my 650ss got an original set but gotta use her for every day work so don't wanna trash the standard ones:) just wondering if anyone has some pictures with standard tanks and details on what other ones you are usingthinking Manx style maybe but open to alternatives, its the later 67 forksThanks ^^

Hi Tom,

The front is an easy swap out to a commando front, and the rear is not much more difficult unless you can find a set of pre valanced dominator guards, or manx style like you already mentioned.

I would have guessed if you are going to use the mighty 650ss for commuting in your glorious english weather the deeply valanced mudguards would be great for keeping the weather off.

The problem is they don't look racey.

Maybe you could race them up a bit with some checkered tape like george formbys shuttleworth snap or whatever it was called (ask a grandad).

Hi Tom,

I can understand your need to conserve your standard guards based on their cost and rarity.

Any generic pattern guard of the correct diameter will fit and your choice depends on the look you want and the material used (stainless, chrome or alloy).

The 'Norton 650ss' Google image search below shows about 50% with non-standard guards - take you pick!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=norton+650ss&biw=1600&bih=754&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi8kpyO5qDSAhVdF8AKHZJ2AfQQ_AUIBygC

Enjoy,

Graham

Cheers guys! :) gotta love George Formby haha,

yep it took me 7 years owned it since I was 21 so the entire time I've owned her to get a front guard love how it looks with the correct valanced on but don't fancy it getting trashed every day or a stone hitting it,

Thinking I might have a try at some Manx ones and see how it looks just got to figure a rear manx one out that will Take a number plate holder and light quite like the standard Norton holder

Thanks,

Tom

A bit of warning. The late Manx GRP rear mudguard / enclosure don't fit a slimline frame. The one that goes out to rear frame, bolted to the race number plate brackets.. The earlier Manx normal looking mudguards will fit anything.

Mike

If your ride to work includes slow traffic and dirty roads a "cafe racer" will soon be relegated to the dark corner. I have got fed up with having to clean the bike after every other trip. Deep guards with added mud flaps ,sensible 2inch rise bars so I can still do that "lifesaver" glance over the shoulder,2 mirrors and indicators, all the right kit for local commuting. All this is totally alien to a young gun with "style". Enjoy it while you can. It does not last long!.

Thanks Mikael thats a massive help and heads up,

I do agree Robert got, Vincent style flats on it some indicators to go on trying to figure the rears out so I don't have to drill the new mudguard when it arrives of Noc, wiring up the front brake cable to the rear light :) sensible stuff to stay safe

standard pipes on it do want to keep it as standard as I can tbh keep considering just running the front mudguard then getting another to keep if one comes up again maybe find the 650ss way more comfier than my fire blade that was a nightmare LOL felt like I went 3 rounds with a boxer by the time I got to work,

its about 30 mins of motorway and 20 mins of a dual carriage way with a bit of traffic usually on that so its not horrendous I guess

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans