Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

650 SS tyre size

Forums

Has anyone fitted a 4.10 x 19 rear tyre ? , Looks a little large ,bike is 1963.

There is adequate room between tyre and chainguard on my 1964 cycle.

As per Avon, the 4.10 is equivalent, it appears you may be OK.

Was more concerned about clearance in swinging arm and to chaincase fixings.Certainly would not work on my 60  99.

My 1963 had 100/90 AM18.  It measures 109mm wide.  It is just post card thickness from the mudguard inside the swing arm.  But most rear gears are trimmed off just above the swing arm.  So if inflates not more than 110 wide, it should fit. Just.  Depending on rim offset. And wheel alignment.

When I raced my 99 (don't laugh, it went pretty well) I had a 4.10 x19 TT100 on the back. I managed to scrub the tread off the sidewalls and still had plenty on the crown - a never to be repeated feat. 

Heyup Bob - The swinging arm had plenty of room even on my Atlas, as supplied by the factory, with an Avon SM 4.00 X 18 rear tyre.  Are you sure  that you don't have a WM3 rim ?  4.00 X 18 in old money equates to 4.25 / 85 X 18 in more modern terms.  A 3.50 X 19 will be 4.10 X 19 and a 3.25 X 19 equates to 3.60 X 19.  So shorten your rear chaincase screws or get a factory fit rear chainguard.  Is your chaincase a fully-enclosed type, perhaps ?     Cheers HR

Wont Know till I try but certainly a 4.10 would not fit the 60  99  as it has brackets for a full case and a 3.50 only just works . the 4.10 measures over half an inch bigger . An 18" has more room but not going there. The STD  Atlas went to 18" and had a wider tyre . I also suspect the chain length makes a difference if the wheel is set further back.. I have not compared the Dommy and SS swinging arms for width and bracket positions . Also wheel centering  must play a part . On my 99 the rear wheel  is offset 3mm to the right compared  to the front but has no room to be centered. Strangely it handles far better than the Atlas which is all in line !. The Atlas wears a WM3  X19  and a 4.10 with enough room. They must have changed swinging arm dimensions somewhere between 1960 and 67. The 99 has been in a bad smash at some time so is suspect anyway. What fun. 

Not quite correct Bob - the 4.10 measurement is made in a different place to the 3.50 measurement.  I have an old 3.50 X 19 K81 Dunlop and it is identical in all measurements to a 4.10 X 19 K81 (TT100).  Check your alignment again,  regards, Howard

Thats probably true ,but as i have two used tyres to measure ,the tape measure says it all .Avon 3.50x19  SM   is 31/2" and Avon 4.10 x19 GP is 4.1"    Its possible that a 90 90 might fit my 99 rear but its an expensive mistake to make . I have 2 new (VERY OLD! ) stock tyres hanging on the wall from 20 years ago when I asked Les of  Norville to supply me with new tyres for the 99DL , thought he would know the score as he had just finished a 99 DL restoration !.  HA !  no chance. Left them on the wall as a reminder to myself to check everything and be very sceptical. 

Just a couple of years ago, my local VMCC had a run out to visit the Fekked Exhaust and Silencer makers. In their accessories shop was no less than 3 Dunlop K81 tyres for sale. All of which were suitable for the back end of a Dominator.

The choice being 3.50 x 19"........4.10 x 19" ........100/90 x 19".......Pay your money and take your pick the assistant said.   

25 years ago, I put a 110/90 x 18" Roadrunner on the back wheel of my Atlas and rode down to Rome and back. The clearance inside the swinging arm was tight but a worn rear chain meant that the wheel axle was further back than usual just leaving few threads on the end of each adjuster. This was interesting as a 4.25 x 18" TT100 needed the side tread blocks thinning down to run in the same position.

At roughly the same time, I had a small collection of partly used TT100s in my shed. These being manufactured in the the UK, Fance, USA, Italy and Japan. The last had a strange grey colour appearance which apparently was due to being made from synthetic rubber. 

The ancient GP tyre on my 650 PR bike is also a funny grey colour ,I would say that perhaps its REAL  rubber?. Someone must know.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans