Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

650 SS chainguard fixings

Forums

Working on the 63 SS  i find the chainguard held on with dubious fixings.  The front by a nut welded onto the swinging arm bracket that only secures the nearside most bit of tin , the  back flange left flapping .   The rearmost fixing screw goes thro both tin flanges  and has a loose nut at the back where it is very innacessable .   My Bracebridge st made  99DL with full case has captive nuts at the back of the cases allowing easy removal of the retaining screws . Is the SS a bodge or is this just the way Plumstead did things ?. 

Hi Rob,

For what its worth, my 1967 650 has just plain tubes for the chain-guard mounting on the top and bottom of the swinging arm, as per your dl.

The (pattern, stainless) chainguard I have has a captive nut (1/4BSF or cycle?) at the tyre side of the front mounting hole and a plain hole at the rear mounting, where as you say it is awkward to fit the nut with the wheel/brake in place. I have used blu tack in a ring spanner to hold the nut in place when threading the bolt through as a means of getting the nut on.

Until now, I had never heard of a threaded swinging arm mount/ one side fixed guard on a dommi. Was it a PO ' mod' to allow the fitting of a wider tyre perhaps?

Good luck, 

George 

My genuine 67 Atlas had captive nuts (1/4 inch BSC ) at each of the chainguard mounting points on the side nearest to the tyre.  The bolts pass through the tubes (spacers) that are welded to the swinging arm mounting brackets and screw into the nuts accordingly.  The nuts seem to be reduced thickness to keep them away from the tyre wall.  All the Plumstead featherbed twins have the same set-up.   Cheers and Happy New Year to all, Howard

Thats interesting Howard,  so the innermost flange of the guard is not fixed at all. There must be some differences between Bracebridge St 650   guards and Plumstead ones . Which goes some way to explaining why my 99 cant have a tyre wider than a 3.50 .

Heyup Bob - When you say that the innermost flange of the chainguard is not fixed at all I am not sure where you're coming from.  The bolts pass through the holes in the left-hand side of the chainguard, then through the tubes welded to the brackets on the swinging arm and then into the nuts welded to the right-hand edge of the chainguard.  So the guard is afixed in the vertical plane and the horizontal plane to the two brackets on the swinging arm.  It could not be simpler......Howard 

Same thing but on my slimline Model 50, I have a 410 X 18 Avon rear tyre.

At the back of course there is plenty of room for a nut and bolt.However, at the front it is very tight so no room for standard fitting.The answer was to fit a brass threaded insert inside the swinging arm tube where the bolt would normally pass through.and machine down a bolt to suit, leaving the head the same as the rear.

Nobody knows and no issues since completion in 2000.+ about a Flee'.s hair clear.

I'm due a rear tyre change next summer, if we are still allowed to ride anywhere. thinking of going nearer to std?

It sounds like I will have to get a thin nut welded to the back of the chainguard  for the rearmost fixing and stick with no fixing at front for the tyre side of the guard . Am hopefull of fitting a 4.10 Avon GP  tyre so need as much room as possible May also fit the longest rear chain possible to gain a bit of room.

It sounds like I will have to get a thin nut welded to the back of the chainguard  for the rearmost fixing and stick with no fixing at front for the tyre side of the guard . Am hopefull of fitting a 4.10 Avon GP  tyre so need as much room as possible May also fit the longest rear chain possible to gain a bit of room.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans