Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

650 primary cover

Forums

Is there a difference between alternator and dynamo primary chain outer covers?

I got a hemmings belt drive kit for our 650SS but the alternator stator is hitting the outer cover, it would require spacing off considerably if it was to clear.

Norvil used to sell a kit that spaced off the outer cover. The main component being a large alloy washer that sat on the footrest shaft between the cases. This arrangement also allowed air to pass through the cases and help cool the moving chunks. A large steel washer might be just as good. What you need to watch out for is enough thread being left to hold the footrest in place. Plus a slight bend in the brake lever to stop it from fouling the outer case.

In answer to the first part of your question - yes there is a BIG difference between Dynamo and Alternator outer covers! You can't use an alternator in a dynamo-type cover as the front dome is too small. I'm guessing that this is the wrong question though as you wouldn't be using a dynamo anywhere near a 650SS!

Previously David Tetley wrote:

Is there a difference between alternator and dynamo primary chain outer covers?

I got a hemmings belt drive kit for our 650SS but the alternator stator is hitting the outer cover, it would require spacing off considerably if it was to clear.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans