Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

500cc International cylinders

Forums

Hi,

I wanted conformation on the number of fins a Norton 500 International barrel has, I am restoring a 1932 and the barrel has 9 fins but the later inter barrel I have has 8 fins.

Can anybody confirm what year the barrels changed from 9 to 8 fins.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Andy

Previously Andrew Jarrett wrote:

Hi,

I wanted conformation on the number of fins a Norton 500 International barrel has, I am restoring a 1932 and the barrel has 9 fins but the later inter barrel I have has 8 fins.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Andy

Andy I been looking for a few days and am perplexed by this. Magnifying glass on period pics, checking my own machines past and present and looking through photos of contemporary machines have left me confused. I will keep searching... I know someone who will have the answer but is not easily contacted. Interesting question. Race machines have various configurations depending on event, and material used for the barrel. But road going machines are not photographed so closely to decide the count.. Even sales brochures have differences that are not consistant with year/model. I have read many books on the marque but cannot recollect that level of detail mentioned. Will come back when I find something.... J

Previously jonathan_newton wrote:

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Andy

Andy I been looking for a few days and am perplexed by this. Magnifying glass on period pics, checking my own machines past and present and looking through photos of contemporary machines have left me confused. I will keep searching... I know someone who will have the answer but is not easily contacted. Interesting question. Race machines have various configurations depending on event, and material used for the barrel. But road going machines are not photographed so closely to decide the count.. Even sales brochures have differences that are not consistant with year/model. I have read many books on the marque but cannot recollect that level of detail mentioned. Will come back when I find something.... J

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for reply, I spend a lot of time on the internet looking at any photos of Norton internationals to try to confirm this type of detail.

Thanks for your time spent on this.

I just remembered that I am getting a new crank pin from Ian Bennett and he has a 1932 inter as well so I will ask him about his barrel, only problem is it may be the case that the barrel could have been changed at some time. But any information helps.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for reply, I spend a lot of time on the internet looking at any photos of Norton internationals to try to confirm this type of detail.

I just remembered that I am getting a new crank pin from Ian Bennett and he has a 1932 inter as well so I will ask him about his barrel, only problem is it may be the case that the barrel could have been changed at some time. But any information helps.

Cheers

Andy

Andy; Originalcylinders in this periodhadtheenginenumberonleft side barrelflange just above thecrankcase stampedenginenumber. I haveleft a messagewith theguru....

Cheers

J

Previously jonathan_newton wrote:

Hi Jonathan,

Cheers

Andy

Andy; Originalcylinders in this periodhadtheenginenumberonleft side barrelflange just above thecrankcase stampedenginenumber. I haveleft a messagewith theguru....

Cheers

J

Hi Jonathon,

I spoke with a person that has a 1932 model 30 and he said it had 9 fins, but to make things even more confusing he has a 1930 cammy motor that has 10 fins. Hopefully you may come up with some information.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Andy

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans