Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

500 Inter carb settings

Forums

Chaps

Ive just replaced the enormous torpedo silencer on the Inter with a Manx Megaphone, erm, amplifier!

does anyone have some baseline carb settings, jetting etc I might employ to begin with ? It's a TT carb, of course!

pics to follow!!

atg

paul

Paul,

To get any benefit from a megga (other than the noise) the valve timing should be reset, it is not difficult to do and full instructions are given in the Inter handbook. The cambox must be removed and the positioning of the cams altered via. the vernier holes and peg. If your cambox is currently oil tight there is a risk of leakage starting when reassembled. The standard silencer, jetting and valve tining is best for road use but a straight through Burgess type barrel silencer is a good compromise if you want to ditch the ugly cigar, it will give a rorty sound without being annoyingly anti-social, you may need to go up a jet size or two though.

ATB Tony

Tony

Paul;I run an empty goldstar "silencer" ona TT carbed Inter. 310 Main, 109 needle,7 slide, needleat 5 groove (from top).

I have alsorun with a5 slide andneedle at mid point which gave better running oneventhrottle, buta littlesnatch on pick up.

Every one is different, and mine is not exactly standard. Start with this if you have nothing, youcan tune it to yourstyleofriding asyourun it, including cam timiming adjustment.

Cheers

Jon

Hi guys, thanks for the input, I appreciate it. I'm busy removing the dissolving tank liner as I type , grrr. I have a 310 MJ 109 needle and 5 slide. It was on clip four from the top, I've assumed five would be a good starting point. A 7 slide is richer I.e. Less cutaway, I presume?

I may well end up with a Goldie silencer, this will almost certainly be too loud!

Let et you know how I get on!

cheers

atg

paul

Loud can be fun for some events but there may be noise resrictions to consider. Also if you are riding to the event it can be really wearing on the ears. Ear plugs!.

Previously paul_miles wrote:

Hi guys, thanks for the input, I appreciate it. I'm busy removing the dissolving tank liner as I type , grrr. I have a 310 MJ 109 needle and 5 slide. It was on clip four from the top, I've assumed five would be a good starting point. A 7 slide is richer I.e. Less cutaway, I presume?

I may well end up with a Goldie silencer, this will almost certainly be too loud!

Let et you know how I get on!

cheers

atg

paul

Slide 7 isleaner.... itsthenumber of1/16thscut away. i.e. 7/16" for the No 7; 5/16" for the No 5.

Thenoiseis a bitof an issuewhentuningat home, on the road youwont notice it asitswaybehindyou, your riding companions may want the plugs thou !angry

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans