Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

250cc Manx Nortons [Harry Stanford]

Forums

Hi, I have been given a file containing letters sent to and from Harry Stanford /Ron Mead and Ray Pettty concerning 250cc Manx Nortons, the Mead 250 Manx was sold at Stafford 2 years ago, as for the Petty bike all I can determine that it was the one Built for Alf Shaw later belonging to Harry.

If anyone knows who now owns either of these bikes please let them know that I have some[ possibly] interesting paperwork and a couple of photos that might add to the history of these machines. .

Previously wrote:

Hi, I have been given a file containing letters sent to and from Harry Stanford /Ron Mead and Ray Pettty concerning 250cc Manx Nortons, the Mead 250 Manx was sold at Stafford 2 years ago, as for the Petty bike all I can determine that it was the one Built for Alf Shaw later belonging to Harry.

If anyone knows who now owns either of these bikes please let them know that I have some[ possibly] interesting paperwork and a couple of photos that might add to the history of these machines. .

Hi William

I visited Ray Petty in 1986 looking for Manx Norton parts, on this visit Ray Showed me a 250 Manx that he had built for a French Customer. The bike was in the loungeroom under blankets he did mention it had taken a while to make. He also was very proud of his fishing accomplishments. Ray scared the living daylights out of me at first and it took some time for him to realise I had travelled from Australia just to talk about Manx Nortons. From there his hospitallity was exceptional, I now only wish I had had a recorder or taken more notes. He showed me heads/barrels of all sizes ages, gearboxes, frames and spare parts wjth a detailed explanation for each item, I ended up spending the best part of a day with him and placed an order for a lot of parts to restore my 1955 Manx, but unfortunately Ray passed away prior to the parts being delivered. I still have the letters he sent to me advising of the delivery dates and prices. On these letters it has his and his riders victories.

Not sure if this helps any, but best of luck anyway.

Best Regards

Mark

Hi William,

Just chanced across the post and was delighted to hear you have some photos and paperwork relating to the Ron Mead 250 Manx which is in my dad's possession, bought at Stafford in 2011.

Please contact me and we can have a chat about them.

Regards

Roger

Hello Roger,

I have an item relating to a Ray Petty 250cc Manx Norton,

I know this thred was 10 years ago....does your dad still have the bike? if not do you know who has now?

thank you

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans