Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1964 650SS

Forums

Just bought a 64 SS that has had a fortune spent on it 600 miles from rebuildnew everything and the rebuilder has fitted superblends but it sounds a bit cranky clankyto me and I don't think I would have gone the superblend route myself any suggestions .

Hi David, These motors don't really need superblend bearings and its possible that now the crank is not locked in place by the designed ball bearing its floating about and needs shimming.Its also possible that you have piston slap, Does it get better as it hots up? Sounds like a stripdown is needed. Can you get someone who is familiar with Nortons to hear it..Alternator Rotor loose on center?.

I rebuilt an 88 40 years ago and when I saw the rebuilder had put super lens in I though why! It has a resleaved cylinder and standard Pistons so I will first check the rotor then pull it to bits. Could I leave a super blend on the drive side and just fit a timing side ball race?

Yes leave the suprblend in the drive side. This makes stripping the engine down much easier.

In the timing side go for an uprated ball bearing such as an M306 with 9 or 10 balls. Mick Hemmings used to sell this type but you can get them via Internet suppliers.

A clicking engine can be due to the use of roller bearings on each end of the crankshaft. The problem is caused by the worm on the oil pump forcing the shaft sideways on each power stroke. Accurate shimming cuts this noise down.

Camshaft followers make quite a din as well once they get a bit worn. Pistons will nearly always clatter when cold especially if the ignition timing is a bit off.

Alternators tend to whine or rumble just before burning out or exploding.

Other possible causes of rattles are loose rocker spindles, worn rockers, valves bouncing off the piston tops and loose pushrod ends.

What is it with the 64 650's?

Mine has been knocking and rattling for over 300 miles now and today I took it up to a very smooth 70 mph & couldn't hear a single gremlin. Plenty more on tap too.

Mine doesn't have a 650 head and I'm wondering if the tappets should be 3 & 5 rather than 6 & 8? Also with this head if I should use N 5 plugs instead of N4's all on account of the earlier head.?

Best if you can make some progress before taking the engine to bits, since you are not 100% what the problem is or what you are looking for. Elimination is the name of the game.

I bought my engine as rebuilt and so the problems might be similar, I'm on the standard bore too with no ridge at the top and so I suspect a re-sleeve. I know the main bearings were replaced because I was given the old ones, could that be both our problem?

Please have a look at my thread as it saves repeating all the advice.

650's are really great bikes and I'm certain you will enjoy it ,rattling or not.

I agree with Niel, its well worth trying to eliminate a few of the likely suspects, But you don't want the motor to go bang.I bought a "restored" pretty Ducati that turned out to have some serious mechanical issues,I later read of another that exhibits such close similarities that I'm sure its from the same stable.

Previously Phil Hannam wrote:

Yes leave the suprblend in the drive side. This makes stripping the engine down much easier.

In the timing side go for an uprated ball bearing such as an M306 with 9 or 10 balls. Mick Hemmings used to sell this type but you can get them via Internet suppliers.

A clicking engine can be due to the use of roller bearings on each end of the crankshaft. The problem is caused by the worm on the oil pump forcing the shaft sideways on each power stroke. Accurate shimming cuts this noise down.

Camshaft followers make quite a din as well once they get a bit worn. Pistons will nearly always clatter when cold especially if the ignition timing is a bit off.

Other possible causes of rattles are loose rocker spindles, worn rockers, valves bouncing off the piston tops and loose pushrod ends.

Previously david_stromaine wrote:

Previously Phil Hannam wrote:

Just removed the timing cover and there seems to be almost an eighth of an inch of end play in the crankshaft so I think problem found many thanks for the input.

At least its not an expensive job,Fit the ball race . I would consider having the crank dynamically ballanced and the pistons matched for weight . Todays traffic speeds have changed the way we have to ride.I would also do a parafin test on the valve seats as I would not be confident of the abilities of the previous rebuilder.Time spent checking through the motor will be repaid in peace of mind .

Previously robert_tuck wrote:

At least its not an expensive job,Fit the ball race . I would consider having the crank dynamically ballanced and the pistons matched for weight . Todays traffic speeds have changed the way we have to ride.I would also do a parafin test on the valve seats as I would not be confident of the abilities of the previous rebuilder.Time spent checking through the motor will be repaid in peace of mind .

The previous owner had the crank pistons and rodsbalanced rods shot peened ect at a bike shop,valves guides ect,barrel resleeved and std pistons fitted and spent tons of money such a shame ah well caveat emptor......

The previous owner had the crank pistons and rodsbalanced rods shot peened ect at a bike shop,valves guides ect,barrel resleeved and std pistons fitted and spent tons of money such a shame ah well caveat emptor......

Partially dissmantled the engine all the nuts bolts ect not properly tight or threadlocked but bore/valves ect look good and am wondering if I should shim the crank and keep the superblends......

Partially dissmantled the engine all the nuts bolts ect not properly tight or threadlocked but bore/valves ect look good and am wondering if I should shim the crank and keep the superblends......

I have not long ago shimmed the cranks and bevel gearsets of two Ducatis, So as long as you know where to find two hardened shims of different thickness to accurately position the crank and can measure the end float and hopefully finish up with shims thick enough to not self destruct-----or you can just pop in a cheap bearing.

Just removed the timing cover and there seems to be almost an eighth of an inch of end play in the crankshaft so I think problem found many thanks for the input.

Hi Dave.

I take it the quote of an eighth of an inch end float is just a figure of speech. If its anything like that, then there is something seriously wrong. Perhaps the 'superblends' fitted aren't the correct type but something else?

I'd fit a high capacity ball race on the timing side, just make sure its a standard internal clearance and not a C3 or 3 DOT; job done, with no need for shims, just as the factory intended.

Keep smiling Jim (Rivi)

Previously james_brierley wrote:

Hi Dave.

I take it the quote of an eighth of an inch end float is just a figure of speech. If its anything like that, then there is something seriously wrong. Perhaps the 'superblends' fitted aren't the correct type but something else?

I'd fit a high capacity ball race on the timing side, just make sure its a standard internal clearance and not a C3 or 3 DOT; job done, with no need for shims, just as the factory intended.

Keep smiling Jim (Rivi)

Hi Jim ,I haven't measured it accurately but it seems and sounds like a lot, the owner bought the superblends from RGM so one would suspect they were the correct ones. The crank gives a good audible clunk when you push and pull it I will inspect the innards tomorrow,

Just had a reply from Norman White no lessso facebook has it's uses. The end float with superblends should be 9 to 12 thou but he said Doug Hele always used a roller and a ball race ,some serious name dropping there.

rgds David

Hi David, These motors don't really need superblend bearings and its possible that now the crank is not locked in place by the designed ball bearing its floating about and needs shimming.Its also possible that you have piston slap, Does it get better as it hots up? Sounds like a stripdown is needed. Can you get someone who is familiar with Nortons to hear it..Alternator Rotor loose on center?.

Alternator rotor is a good thing to look at first. They sound like big ends shot when they are loose.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans