Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1962 ES2 - speed/power?

Forums

Dear Members,

I have recently bought a 1962 ES2 and it seems a bit down on power !

Whilst I know this machine was never considered a roadburner , my example, will manage only an indicated 65mph ( with fairly upright touring bars fitted), so probably about 60mph in truth.

60-65mph suggests that the motor may be making around 11-12hp ( not the nominal 22hp that it should).

The bike appears to have good compression, fires up easily and otherwise runs very nicely, with no flat spots / hesitation etc, but with its "neck wrung" it will just not go much over the 60-65mph mark.

Contemporary tests suggest that 75-80mph might be acheivable.

Can anyone comment whether 60-65mph is about right for an ES2, or is mine likely to need some attention to the motor ?

I have a Dominator 99 which runs very much better, although nominally only making some 10hp more (33hp), so I know what a nippy Norton should feel like !

All advice / guidance would be appreciated.

rgds,

Roland.

Hi Roland

This is not right. I would check the ignition and Cam timing. You may be a tooth out on the cam. It should run up into the 80mph range without any bother.Tony

Roland

Have you checked out the sprocket sizes I don,t know the correct sizes for an ES2 but it may be low geared and you might need a bigger engine or gearbox sprocket.

Bruce

Hi.

Not much to add to the advice above. The inlet cam on mine was out by 10 degrees with the marks lined up!!! Sprocket sizes should be 20t engine and 19t gearbox. My ES2 had similar performance whenI got it (1978) and had sidecar gearing fitted.Ign timing should be38degrees fully advanced. Jet size 270. Tappets should have zero play when cold but be free to rotate. New valve springs may help but would have to be pretty knackered to slow it down to 65mph. My own ES2 runs a modified 16H pistonwhich brings the C:R to 7.9:1 (ignition timing is 33? b.t.d.c. with this C:R - I think from memory), valve timing altered to near as spec as poss, polished ports and now pulls a 22t engine sprocket with ease. You say it runs OK - at full throttle?- any other possible reasons I can think of would be accompanied by some atrocious noises or it stopping completely.

Cheers.

Ian.

Have you checked that the throttle really is opening all the way when the grip's wound right back? Play/slack in the cable might just mean that you're never actually getting the thing wide open. Got to be worth a look.

My '59 ES2 was my daily transport in the late 60's and well into the 70's. I usually cruised at 70 on motorways and top whack was 75'ish or a little higher with the wind behind. She has been 'resting' and unused for too many years now, but I wonder if modern lead free petrol and standard ignition settings are causing low performance?

Andy Mullins, Exeter

Did you find the problem, Roland?

Is your Speedo reading correctly?

Is there a fuel blockage?

Have you tried BP Ultimate?

+ other suggestions as above.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans