Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1962 Dommie rear wheel fitting info

Forums

When the rear spindle nut is tight on the sprocket side is it correct that the spacer between the brake plate and swinging arm supposed to be free to allow the brake plate float very slightly? The shoulder on the stub axle is hard up against the inside of the swinging arm fork.

thanks

It's a confusing picture.  I can't see a Dommie swinging arm - and what's that steel bracket hanging down from the axle?  It's a lot thinner than the lug at the end of the swinging arm.

Picture has misaligned backing plate but from what can be seen it looks like an early Commando rear with the extra torque arm and spring and not a 1962 type.

You could be right because I ordered a mew spacer and brake lever return spring for a featherbed and neither was right.the spacer was much thicker . The brake plate does have the boss with the flats that engage in the slot in the swingarm. The nut seems to pull up the stub axle tight against the swing arm fork where the flats on the axle terminate,but does not quite trap the brakeplate, maybe the spacer is slightly too thin, maybe someone could tell me what the spacer thickness could be if this is early Commando

thanks 

I think now there should be a pen steel washer inside the brake plate against the stub axle shoulder i can see it listed in an exploded view

Pardon my ignorance but what does the word ‘ pen ‘ mean in relation to a steel washer ?

George

'Pen' steel washer is the term used in all the literature for a hardened and ground steel washer. But question remains... why?

... that it means they're made from pen steel which as the name suggests was developed for making pen nibs. I can't verify this however.

Birmingham was of course the home for the world's biggest manufacturers making at one point in the 19th century half the world's steel nibs.

I agree with Ian, they are very thin spring steel type washers. If they were hardened, being so thin, they would just shatter when tightened against. Normally used against a felt washer to keep it in place.

Regards

Dick

Got the 0.025” shim washer from RGM. Fits between the inner face of brakeplate and stub axle shoulder, brakeplate now trapped and axle nut has a nice solid feel when tight. Also fitted the dished washer and felt ring as were missing

Hi Peter. Do you have an RGM part number for that 25 thou spacer washer please? I had a look on their web site but couldn’t find it. Thanks 

Regards. Tony

OUTSIDE DIAMETER: 1.256  1 1/4"  (32MM) INSIDE DIAMETER: .858  (21.8MM) THICKNESS:  .025"  (.6MM)

https://www.rgmnorton.co.uk/buy/rear-wheel-dummy-spindle-pen-steel-washer_2708.htm

in

https://www.rgmnorton.co.uk/dept/drum-rear-hub_d01155.htm

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans