Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1960 Dommi Up and Running

Forums

After a couple of weeks fault finding, research and waiting for parts to arrive I have managed to get the magneto working and so got my Dommi to start. New bob weight springs, pick up and earth brushes, spark plugs and caps then a good clean of the stator rings, re-set the timing, clean up and re-set the points, and finally, some fuel. Two kicks and away we go, all be it a little rough, though the carb hasn't been touched except for cleaning the filter so I guess a strip down, service and tune-up will be next on the list.

The only snags I have discovered are, (1), the RHS is smoky, not too bad, but noticeable, and, (2), the associated spark plug gets quite sooty after 5 or 10 minutes running, the left hand plug gets sooty but not as bad as the RHS. I suppose that after stand idle for several years this can be expected, but any hints as to why would be appreciated.

John Sunderland

Previously John Sunderland wrote:

After a couple of weeks fault finding, research and waiting for parts to arrive I have managed to get the magneto working and so got my Dommi to start. New bob weight springs, pick up and earth brushes, spark plugs and caps then a good clean of the stator rings, re-set the timing, clean up and re-set the points, and finally, some fuel. Two kicks and away we go, all be it a little rough, though the carb hasn't been touched except for cleaning the filter so I guess a strip down, service and tune-up will be next on the list.

The only snags I have discovered are, (1), the RHS is smoky, not too bad, but noticeable, and, (2), the associated spark plug gets quite sooty after 5 or 10 minutes running, the left hand plug gets sooty but not as bad as the RHS. I suppose that after stand idle for several years this can be expected, but any hints as to why would be appreciated.

John Sunderland

The problem with the right hand side smoking and fouling the plug, an intermittent fault with theHT lead. This morning I did a continuity check and found thatwhen you move the lead, the continuity failed so acall to RGM about 5 miles down the road and some new HT leads have been acquired.

John Sunderland

The problem with the right hand side smoking and fouling the plug, an intermittent fault with theHT lead. This morning I did a continuity check and found thatwhen you move the lead, the continuity failed so acall to RGM about 5 miles down the road and some new HT leads have been acquired.

Problem solved. Fitted the new HT leads and started up. No more smoking from the RHS exhaust. The plugs still get dirty but the carburetor will benefit from a clean and service and re-tune.

John Sunderland

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans