Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1960 Dominator 88 rebuild

Forums

rebuild advice

Hello All - I have recently inherited my Grandad's 1960 Norton Dominator 88. I have completed "minor" rebuilds before but the sentimental value in this bike is putting me off taking too much risk in the areas that I am under experienced.

The bike hasn't run for 18 years, and I want to restore to its former glory keeping it looking as much like what came from the showroom as possible. I would really appreciate some advice on best places to send the engine off to for a strip down and check over? I already know a company that will jet the carbs for me.

As I say, I am comfortable doing most things but this was grandads pride and joy, so want to get the engine bit right. The fuel tank was left with fuel in which i can sort, but the oil box seems to have dropped its oil into the bottom end so this will need draining.

Does anyone have any advice on best place to start to get her running again so i can then focus on all the other bits (that i know how to do myself)

Many Thanks

You're going to get as many answers as opinions...do you suspect the engine to be on trouble? Do you know how worn it is? If it's been in the family, you might know more about it than anyone else.  Others will no doubt disagree but it doesn't make sense to me to strip and rebuild an engine just in case you might need to strip and rebuild it in the future. Why not wait until then? It might never arrive.

Condolences on your GF passing, but I am sure he would be happy that you intend to restore his beloved 88. He must have had an inkling of your intention as he has left it to you.

Before you start rushing into anything-and spending a lot of unnecessary money (that is easily done on any level of "restoration")- sit down and have a long hard think.

That you would like to get it into showroom condition is understandable, but the big question is- then what? That is to say, what do you intend to do with it, what use will you put it to, how often and when will you ride it.

If it is to be what I believe is called a trailer queen, there is no real need to spend huge amounts on the engine, over and above getting it to start and run.

You have made a good start by joining the club, you will get all the advice you need- and plenty you dont!

Get in touch with your local branch, make some aquaintances, and perhaps get a couple of free inspections to set you on the right path. We all love looking at each other's Nortons, for some if only to count the rivets!

Above all, enjoy! There will be lows- overcome and forget these, and concentrate on the highs!

I suggest starting a file on the bike; collect whatever documents you have, and make copious notes as you go along, with all receipts, plans etc. And of course take plenty of photos at every stage.

Good luck.

You seem to already have an attachment to Grand Pa’s/Your Norton and you have some mechanical skill. Nortons are not rocket ships. Average people have been keeping them on the road forever with just basic skills. Is there an urgency to get the wee bestie out on the road? If the bike ran when Grand Pa parked it that tells you a lot right there. Clean, polish, lube cables and chains. Maybe new rubber.  Get to know your new bike. If the motor turns over do a cold compression test and go from there. You will have lots of time and many opportunities to lavish your hard earned money on the Norton. Welcome to a chance for true love.

I know I am like a  stuck record on this subject, but if the bike has been stood for years, I would strongly recommend that you strip the engine and clean out the crankshaft sludge trap, I have seen them absolutely full, but if a bit breaks off when soaked in fresh oil and blocks a big-end feed, it will reduce your engine to scrap in a very short time, I have seen this happen twice. 

Hello Michael,

As has been said, whereabouts are you? There is bound to be someone, hopefully more than one person not far from you, and with luck you won't be far from a local branch. Having someone with you to discuss what you want and give assistance when needed will be a huge help. You might even be able to borrow special tools as required. Even things like being told item xxx is missing and are now unobtainable, but you can use item yyy from another bike can save a lot of wasted effort and cost.

There is a big benefit in doing as much as you can yourself as it means you will get to know its idiosyncrasies so much better, and also save a small fortune in labour costs. There isn't really a huge step from 'minor rebuild' to 'major' providing that you are willing to listen and have someone more knowledgeable help you. It is only too easy to get carried away and spend way more than the bike will ever be worth, especially if you are paying someone's labour costs in addition to the material costs.

One other question - did you inherit any of your Grandads tools? If you have only ever worked on more modern bikes, you are going to be on a big learning curve finding out what thread the various bolts are, what spanners you are going to need etc. Again, the club environment is wonderful in assisting with this if you aren't sure.

Looking forward to hearing how it is progressing, and as has been said, copious notes and photo's at all stages, especially of things like wire and cable routing around the bike.

Oh, and the editor of Roadholder will love any articles you can write up as you go along. It would be great to see an article from a 'New to Norton' perspective, errors and all as we can all still learn things.

Best regards, 

George 

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans