Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1958 ES2 shock absorbers (single downtube frame)

Forums

Can some kind soul get out their calipers and tell me the size of the shock absorber bushes (width inside the bracket & bolt dia.) on an unmodified original Single Downtube Frame. Mod. 50, ES2 or 19S.

My machine had had the upper bracket replaced to take an 11,9" shock; This puts the upper bolt 1" lower than standard and precludes being able to fit the original dualseat or rear mudguard. So I hope to be able to get something resembling the original brackets made up and welded on instead. Details of the shock-absorber top bush are critical to be able to jig up the whole thing.  I suspect 1" wide, and a 5/16 bolt.

Anybody?  

First picture shows my mine as it is now. It's been modfied to provide a ridgid rear frame-loop. Might have been a good idea at the time, but it doesn't work for me.

I plan to cut off the loop and the welded-on gusset-plates, and fabricate new shock-absorber brackets along the original lines.

Second picture shows an unmodified single downtube frame. I need to know the inside width of the brackets, and the hole-diameter. Once I've got a pair of correct 12,9" shock-absorbers I can make a jig to get them welded on correctly.

and... your shocks are 12,9" between centres, aren't they?

Thanks for your help! Invaluable!

Hi Ian (Guday to you)

I  Got mine from NJB on advice from NZ.

Norman makes them to your requirements.

Hope you are well,  Thanks for the engine plates, perfect fit.

Neil.  (57 Mod 50)

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans