Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1958 ES2 Rear Mudguard (Single downtube)

Forums

My ES2 lost it's original mudguard 50 years ago during a mild attack of customising. The old mudguard never made it to Sweden, where I live now. It was replaced by a stainless C-profile that has never done much to protect me or the rest of the bike in wet weather. Bashing up and down the A1 and M6 in the late sixties between London and Westmorland gave me an affinity for stainless parts that I've never lost. So I'm not looking for a reproduction copy of the original hinged steel item. My query is - would a slimline rear mudguard fit in the back of a single downtube frame? Has anybody tried it? Though a little wary of Indian products, I've seen that Sparezo do an undrilled item that ought to be able to be made to fit with suitable spacers and strengthening washers.  Any comments?  

I have a '57 ES2 so the same model and the rear guard is probably the same or similar to a hinged wide line guard which the NOC spares scheme used to carry, I helped Neil W get one he may join in! A slimline looks totally different but may be made to fit. 

For what it’s worth the wideline rear is a close match to the original. For me the main thing is the curve, did the slimline have 18” wheels? If yours has 19” it may look wrong! 

Dan 

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans