Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1957 pre-F/bed Single rear mudguard bracket

Forums

NOS Bracket Norton Matchless AJS Featherbed Roadholder 270

As well as engine plates, I am also short of the bracket as shown in the picture I found on a USA e-bay site. This one is listed as new old stock and is different from the earlier, pre 57 bracket, as the 57/58 bracket only fastens to the top of the swinging arm pivot area on the left hand side, as seen at the bottom of the picture.

I have the pre 57 version (Fastens both sides) if anyone would like to swap or just sell me one as shown above.

This item is listed as AJS, Matchless, Norton 'Part Number appears 19877.' The 57/58 singles used an AMC (Type) frame with tubular bottom frame rails.

Any help after seven, almost eight years of searching for this bracket and a set of engine plates, very much appreciated. Close to giving up.

Neil.

BTW, I did make several bids for this item but outbid every time. Add to that, the International postage of $49.50!

I'm wondering if the Matchless OC might be more helpful?

Otherwise: Anyone interested in a powder coated 1957 Mod 50 pre f/bed frame?

Swinging arm

Long Roadholder forks with yokes

Front mudguard. Powder coated black, like new..

New handlebars

Oil tank

Battery box. Both powder coated.

Side stand (Needs foot welding on) and new club centre stand.

Both wheels re-built with stainless spokes and rims. New bearings and new rear tyre. (Avon Road runner) Slightly used Avon on the front.

Petrol tank (Excellent) in grey primer, comes with round badges and new rubbers and chrome side panels. (Need re chroming)

I'm keeping the engine and gearbox. Engine plates and rear mudguard bracket unobtainable.

Neil, there is a huge gap in my knowledge between rigid singles and Commandos so I don't know the brazed swing-arm frames, but that bracket is extremely fabricatable. Presumably you could measure existing fittings to arrive at dimensions ?

I'd suggest a word with someone like Terry Roberts at 'Metal Magic'.

Engine plates too can be cut quite easily suing modern methods. It will mean an hour or two with card and scissors, but these sixty-plus year old bikes are no longer going to be restored using off the shelf parts.

Don't give up !

Thanks for your encouragement, Richard. My grief is that there are older featherbeds with parts available straight off the shelf! The club could support these pre F/beds but choose not to.

I have the drawings for the engine plates and was thinking about making two sets, once one is proven correct and then donating the other set to the club as templates so no one has to suffer this again. (In theory?)

The bracket in the picture is not so easy to reproduce, it has a curve and angles. I have the earlier version of it that fastens on both sides.

Without the support, I doubt there will be much interest in my bits. I have been collecting parts for almost 8 years and after my 650 engine rebuild, after completion of the 99 it will be the turn of the pre F/bed. I'm not looking forward to getting stuck part way through. Doesn't happen with F/beds.

On a brighter note: I just got a new original spec seat for the 99 from R K Leighton in Birmingham. Andrew tells ne he can supply new seats for the 58/59 pre F/beds. An original rear mudguard, another unobtainable but I can get round that. But the bracket in the picture a bit more of a challenge.

Thanks again.

Hi Neil I have a reasonably complete 57 ES2 Though missing centre stand and has a broken side stand. Can youpovide me the correct p/n for the centre stand if they are available trough the club as I havent been able to find it. Regards Alan

Attachments model-7-es2-s-n-007-jpg

Hi Alan, the good news for you is that you can buy a new seat, me too.

When I bought the centre stand from the club, about three years ago I made it clear what it was for so fingers crossed it is correct. I don't recall a part number.

I bought a centre stand with the frame, swinging arm, tank, forks, oil tank and battery box. Later I bought a side stand through fleebay from Malaysia.

About six years ago, Dale Middlehurst, who has been most helpful, came to my house to have a look at this collection of parts.

The side stand from Malaysia was not even Norton, unknown and didn't fit anyway and the centre stand (Powder coated) was not Norton. Hence I bought the centre stand from the club.

Now, if I ever get as far as to offer up the centre stand to the frame on assembly (All piled in a corner at the moment) it should become obvious as to which is the correct stand.

ASP I will photograph them both and you can work out which is correct, just that it will tale a while to get to. I'm still looking for my proto type thin Amal air filter.....I need a big tidy up! BTW: At least you have the bits stopping me...

Hello Neil,

I completely understand your frustration, I recently restored my 1957 model 77 & started with a frame, gearbox, rear wheel & dynamo. Not a lot of info on the pre-featherbed, post plunger stuff. I am in a better position to bid on your part & may be able to get cheaper shipping for you. I'll give it a go & if I win, you get first refusal & I need a ton of parts for my '53 ES2 project, perhaps we can barter ?

My motto was " the price doesent matter, all that matters is, can I find the part". I know it seems silly to pay $200 (133 GBP) for a bracket, but if it gets you one step closer to getting the bike done, I think it is worth it. Try buying a similar part for a new bike, it is crazy expensive.

Feel free to contact me directly if you like.

Skip Brolund

Many thanks Skip, Don't go too mad but a good idea to pool our resources. I'll be in touch. Keeping old Norton's on the road should be a club main principle, not just Commando's and Featherbeds!

It is frustrating that there isn't much club support for 50's pre F/beds and Flat tanker owners tend to be in the VMCC.How about getting them back?

Alan, I had a look this afternoonat photoing those centre stands but would have meant moving 3 bikes out of the way but I'll do it as soon as I get the chance.

Previously Neil Wyatt wrote:

Many thanks Skip, Don't go too mad but a good idea to pool our resources. I'll be in touch. Keeping old Norton's on the road should be a club main principle, not just Commando's and Featherbeds!

It is frustrating that there isn't much club support for 50's pre F/beds and Flat tanker owners tend to be in the VMCC.How about getting them back?

Alan, I had a look this afternoonat photoing those centre stands but would have meant moving 3 bikes out of the way but I'll do it as soon as I get the chance.

Thanks Neil, at the moment I am half way through a 54 model 7 when this is finished then I will be into the ES2 and once appart may be able to get replicated the parts you need but that will probably towards the end of the year.

Regards Alan

As well as engine plates, I am also short of the bracket as shown in the picture I found on a USA e-bay site. This one is listed as new old stock and is different from the earlier, pre 57 bracket, as the 57/58 bracket only fastens to the top of the swinging arm pivot area on the left hand side, as seen at the bottom of the picture.

I have the pre 57 version (Fastens both sides) if anyone would like to swap or just sell me one as shown above.

This item is listed as AJS, Matchless, Norton 'Part Number appears 19877.' The 57/58 singles used an AMC (Type) frame with tubular bottom frame rails.

Any help after seven, almost eight years of searching for this bracket and a set of engine plates, very much appreciated. Close to giving up.

Neil.

Hello this dose not look like a Norton part too me, the bottom of the Norton mudguard has two holes one above the other, and there 1/4 nuts and bolts, and rubber washers , yours anna j

It is very much a Norton part. Used on a number of pre-featherbed bikes from '57-'58 including my '57 Model 77, & my '60 Nomad.The model 19s & possibly others as well.

To Neil:

I now own this part, contact me directly about costs,trades, etc. :)

Skip Brolund

Many thanks Skip and thanks for reiterating that this is a 57/ 58 pre F/bed part as I said at the start. (Inc all singles, 50, ES2 and 19S) I'll drop you a line.

Alan, I think Skip can help with the mudguard bracket. But the engine plates seem the best bet yet. I could get them replicated but the choice is yours and the end of the year will be about right for me. Give me chance to sort the engine out. Thanks both of you and thanks Richard for your encouragement. What the club is for. Divided we fail...

Previously anna jeannette Dixon wrote:

Neil.

Hello this dose not look like a Norton part too me, the bottom of the Norton mudguard has two holes one above the other, and there 1/4 nuts and bolts, and rubber washers , yours anna j

Anna, the pre 57 bracket is as you say and I have one if you need it. the 57/58 as in the picture only attaches to the side of the swinging arm on the left hand side on the 57/58, not both sides as on the pre 57. The shame of it was that I had the choice of the earlier frame but at the time I didn't realise that these only had a short run. You live and learn! If I had been offered a featherbed the job would have been finished long ago!

Neil can you send me a message with your Email address to keep so I can contact you when it comes apart, copying the plates shouldn't be a proublem as my Daughters Partner works in a profile cutting business.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans