Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1957 Model 50 PreF/bed Rear mudguard and Centre Stand Spring.

Forums

My club centre stand had to be re-made because it was an inch too wide at the pivot and the cross bar too far up and hit the frame.

My questions are: 1) The only choice of rear mudguard appears to be the wideline version from club spares (When they are in stock) Is this suitable, I appreciate that it may need knocking about a little and perhaps even cutting, but will it do the job? If not, what is the alternative?

2) I bought the side stand and centre stand springs from Norvil, the side stand spring was spot on but the centre stand spring is nowhere near. The correct centre stand spring would appear to be a slightly modified and perhaps stronger version of the side stand spring?

Anyone got any photos of the correct rear mudguard and centre stand spring. Where can I get the spring and the mudguard if the wide line option is a none starter?

Thanks gents,

Neil.

Attachments ssa42288-jpg

I got my pre-featherbed mudguards from the club. The rear was OK, but I hated that the captured nuts were metric threads instead of the correct threads. The front mud guard was horrible. The arc was all wrong. I had to take a pie cut out of each side & reform. It looks good now & is ready for paint. Then I found an original front fender!!! Now I have 2 !

My centerstand spring also came from Noril, mine also didnt fit, then I realised I was missing the special "hook" part that goes on the frame :)

Now it fits fine :)

Hopefully here is some photo's of the rear guard, any chance of you listing the part numbers of the springs as I to have had to narrow an earlier stand, Neil how did you enjoy New Zealand?

Attachments dsc02147-jpg

Any chance of a picture of this special hook, Skip or failing that, a part number? Thanks for that.

Alan, Side stand is number 060768LSS and the Centre stand: 16937 but please take on board comments from Skip and I.

Thank you for the mudguard pictures, I think I will be going down the wideline route as there only appears two choices of Norton rear mudguards. Although the front one should have the 57 on version with the V on the front, I have a ready to fit 56 version from a Dommie. Doubt many would notice.

I have to say that if it wasn't for Ian R in Victoria, AUS and Skip, Stateside with the engine plates and rear engine plate / mudguard fixing over the S/A respectively I would have shelved the project a year since. Just about to start on the 59 engine! (If you need these engine plates in the future, I will be donating the spare set Ian made for me to the club as a template, now that I can confirm they are a perfect fit)

Just a quick one Alan, on NZ. A wonderful place, wonderful people and a fantastic Classic scene on perfect roads. (As long as you stay out of Auckland) I never went to Wellington BTW. A visit to South Island is on the menu but it is a bloody long way. I must get that brief write up done for the editor, with some pictures!

PS: Can we get a consensus on the original horn location?

Previously Neil Wyatt wrote:

Any chance of a picture of this special hook, Skip or failing that, a part number? Thanks for that.

Alan, Side stand is number 060768LSS and the Centre stand: 16937 but please take on board comments from Skip and I.

Thank you for the mudguard pictures, I think I will be going down the wideline route as there only appears two choices of Norton rear mudguards. Although the front one should have the 57 on version with the V on the front, I have a ready to fit 56 version from a Dommie. Doubt many would notice.

I have to say that if it wasn't for Ian R in Victoria, AUS and Skip, Stateside with the engine plates and rear engine plate / mudguard fixing over the S/A respectively I would have shelved the project a year since. Just about to start on the 59 engine! (If you need these engine plates in the future, I will be donating the spare set Ian made for me to the club as a template, now that I can confirm they are a perfect fit)

Just a quick one Alan, on NZ. A wonderful place, wonderful people and a fantastic Classic scene on perfect roads. (As long as you stay out of Auckland) I never went to Wellington BTW. A visit to South Island is on the menu but it is a bloody long way. I must get that brief write up done for the editor, with some pictures!

PS: Can we get a consensus on the original horn location?

Hi Neil, I have done quite a bit of reading -Bacon/Wilson books etc,and onmost period photo's that I have seen there is no visible horn, also I have a 1957 parts book, the horn p/n 70140A crosses to a Lucas HF1441, which is the same horn as on Skips Bike, I suspect somehow it mounts on the bracket that I postedthe photo of? Yes my own bike has the horn on the front mount but I believe it has been put there as the engine stud is not long enough and it appears to be the earlier model horn.

Thanks Alan. I was fortunate enough to be loaned the 57 singles parts book from Ian in Victoria. I made a copy before sending it back. This horn business is a bit of a grey area, I'd say for the singles. The book however answered a lot of questions.

Not much room between the Norvil chain guard and the rear wheel but we won't have the full picture until I have the wide line rear mudguard.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans