Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1957 International paint colour

Forums

The International I have is painted black and silver. The inside of the primary chain case is poly grey. I have obtained the records of the bike, no paint colour. My question is,was it originally painted poly grey or black and silver. Any thoughts.

Hi Peter,

Mines poly grey as well, did you recieve my email sent on the 30/3/15?

its possible it went into spam as gmail does sometimes.

cheers

Mark

Previously peter_arnull wrote:

The International I have is painted black and silver. The inside of the primary chain case is poly grey. I have obtained the records of the bike, no paint colour. My question is,was it originally painted poly grey or black and silver. Any thoughts.

Polychromatic silver grey , or VW platinie Grey Metallic nearess colour, but note there not the easeist to match if you get any chip marks on the paint work, and some were Painted In red or Light Blue Metallic they were for export market, just like your Model 88 we even see the Model 7 in light blue Metallic post office red would look nice on a International something a bit diffrent, yours Anna J

Attachments Picture%20734.jpg

Previously anna jeannette Dixon wrote:

Previously peter_arnull wrote:

Polychromatic silver grey , or VW platinie Grey Metallic nearess colour, but note there not the easeist to match if you get any chip marks on the paint work, and some were Painted In red or Light Blue Metallic they were for export market, just like your Model 88 we even see the Model 7 in light blue Metallic post office red would look nice on a International something a bit diffrent, yours Anna J

Most Inters home sale versions and were only painted in Polychromatic Grey or exceptionlly a black one would get into the home market. Most black ones went to Australasia and/or the far east. Singapore etc.

I seem to recall I used VW Silver Fox and there used to be a list of paints on this web site but I cannot find it now.

Previously John Tickell wrote:

What about the one Phil Heath owned. A green'y color that he was adamant was correct? John

Still aboutlasttime Ilooked. Owner was the chapfrom "Works" Norton. Clearly original bottlefly greenpaint and slowbendbolt upframe...

I think thats theone...

Check theshop number stamped in yourprimary casing. See ifit matches therest of theshopnumbersin the motor. (Mag drivecover easiest revealed). Then youcantake it as the original fitment. Then scrape itto see whats under thegrey...

I'm with Anna onredifyour undecided smiley

Jon

Previously jonathan_newton wrote:

Previously John Tickell wrote:

What about the one Phil Heath owned. A green'y color that he was adamant was correct? John

Still aboutlasttime Ilooked. Owner was the chapfrom "Works" Norton. Clearly original bottlefly greenpaint and slowbendbolt upframe...

I think thats theone...

Check theshop number stamped in yourprimary casing. See ifit matches therest of theshopnumbersin the motor. (Mag drivecover easiest revealed). Then youcantake it as the original fitment. Then scrape itto see whats under thegrey...

I'm with Anna onredifyour undecided smiley

Jon

I rely on Roy Bacons book (P181) which says all black frames with only the tanks to relieve this but polychromatic grey from 1955 to end with an option for Manx black or silver (never seen a silver one). I've asked Barry Stickland to comment as it was he who informed me originally. He's usually correct. If there was a special order colour it would or should have been shown in the factory records as a margin comment and I cannot see it in the copy I have which is the spreadsheet one Neville Hinton prepared. The original hand written ones may have such a comment but I don't have all of that but I beleive Barry does and they are also kept in the Science Musuem and I do think the VMCC have a copy.

http://www.nortonownersclub.org/support/technical-support-general/norton-colours-and-paints

NB The VW Silver is to match SILVER not polychromatic grey.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans