Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1957 Export Colours

Forums

I have recently purchased a 57 88 for restoration here in California and I've been trying to discover the original colour. The frame is black with the optional chrome mudguards - No sign of polychromatic grey. I've taken the petrol tank down to bare metal. There is a thin grey primer covered by a thin coat of yellow then a thick hard coat of red which is resistant to Acetone. The bike has since been painted purple and then red again.

Could the tank have been originally red?

I've read rumours of colours other than the grey for export but was hoping to hear from someone who can confirm red with black frame as a 57 export colour.

Thanks,

James

Previously james_cowdery wrote:

I have recently purchased a 57 88 for restoration here in California and I've been trying to discover the original colour. The frame is black with the optional chrome mudguards - No sign of polychromatic grey. I've taken the petrol tank down to bare metal. There is a thin grey primer covered by a thin coat of yellow then a thick hard coat of red which is resistant to Acetone. The bike has since been painted purple and then red again.

Could the tank have been originally red?

I've read rumours of colours other than the grey for export but was hoping to hear from someone who can confirm red with black frame as a 57 export colour.

Thanks,

James

Hello Export models are all the same colours from 1952 on some were in either black or red or light blue some seen in light green too in some countries now it up to you to choose, in my book post office red seemsabout right yours anna j

The 1960's export ES2 singles were also painted red with small tanks, and high bars. The dispatch records should show the colours and specifications for the export bikes in a column on the side of the batch of bikesthat were sent to the USA. Ask Dave Catton as he can look up the dispatch records and then you will know for sure what colour your bike would have been when dispatched from the factory.

Previously anthony_curzon wrote:

The 1960's export ES2 singles were also painted red with small tanks, and high bars. The dispatch records should show the colours and specifications for the export bikes in a column on the side of the batch of bikesthat were sent to the USA. Ask Dave Catton as he can look up the dispatch records and then you will know for sure what colour your bike would have been when dispatched from the factory.

Thanks Tony and Anna.

Dave got back to me and the bike was black. Not the answer I expected. I was hoping for red. Perhaps I'll paint the tank red anyway.

James

Previously james_cowdery wrote:

Previously anthony_curzon wrote:

Thanks Tony and Anna.

Dave got back to me and the bike was black. Not the answer I expected. I was hoping for red. Perhaps I'll paint the tank red anyway.

James

Hello Jame you can paint your bike any colour you like it's your motorcyclein the end of the day yours anna jAttachments picture-734-1-jpg

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans