Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1957-on Dominator rocker spindles

Forums

Having installed my '57 88 rocker spindles (head heated to 170 in the wife's oven-she was out!) with the oil flat pointing to the tappet covers as per Haynes '57 on manual I then read the Clymer version and read that they say the flat should point into the centre of the head!

Informed comment please as to the correct direction.

Ps: Superb display by the Bournemouth branch N.O.C. at Popham airfield Sunday.

The ones published by Norton themselves. I have the 1960 and earlier model 7 version. Also 1968 version, all state the same . So I guess that Haynes is wrong.

THanks again, will change them round. Thanks for the quick response, this shows the value of club forums among fellow enthusiasts.

Thank you for taking the time to check this out for me.

I am fairly certain that on the scrolled type of rocker spindles, using a low pressure feed, the position of any flat is not too critical. But the general rule is;-

Low pressure feed to scrolled spindles - flats inwards.

High pressure feed to plain spindles - flats outwards.

If for some reason the engine has plain spindles and a low pressure feed then again the flats face outwards.

High pressure feed to scrolled spindles is a no no.

Phil, have already reversed my spindles! Please define high pressure applications-is this referring to the 1961 onwards larger capacity pump? Would my 1957 88 engine have a high pressure system? My spindles are not scrolled but have a large "flat".

Both Clymer and Roy Bacons books say flat inwards for the '57 Dominator.

Regards, Roger

Early Dominators including yours use a 3-start drive to the oil pump and take the rocker feed from the union of the return side of the oil line. Later ones use a 6 start gear to give high speed and have a high pressure feed to the rockers from the exterior of the timing chest.

it is not worth fitting 6 start gears to a low pressure feed engine, it only leads to problems.

Previously charles_bovington wrote:

Early Dominators including yours use a 3-start drive to the oil pump and take the rocker feed from the union of the return side of the oil line. Later ones use a 6 start gear to give high speed and have a high pressure feed to the rockers from the exterior of the timing chest.

it is not worth fitting 6 start gears to a low pressure feed engine, it only leads to problems.

Yes even the 650 and early Atlas was 3 start oil pumps up to 1964 when it all changed to 6 start you can use the oil pump with a S stamped on the out side it was for the very early 650s Like my one,

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans