Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1956 Dominator parts book

Forums

I've had this for about 40 years so thought I would scan it and make it available. I assume as it's so old any copyright issues have faded away but if it's contrary to policy then mods please remove.

http://www.iansoady.org.uk/pdf%20documents/1956%20Dominator%20parts.pdf

Previously ian_soady wrote:

I've had this for about 40 years so thought I would scan it and make it available. I assume as it's so old any copyright issues have faded away but if it's contrary to policy then mods please remove.

http://www.iansoady.org.uk/pdf%20documents/1956%20Dominator%20parts.pdf

Just about to start on my 56 Dommie 99 refurb and this document will be so helpful. Many thanks Ian. Regards Ron.Smile

Attachments prk192-58yrs-on-jpg

Thanks Ian - I've got a 1956 99 in bits and large lumps that is on my someday list so this will come in handy when I get the Commando finished - Cheers -Richard

Thank you for posting this.

I have a Factory workshop manual for my bike, but never seen a parts book for it. It's an amusing mix of drawings, showing a Long Roadholder fork, the 1955-7 hubs, and bolt-up featherbed frame. But nothing to illustrate the metal-ware at all. The parts listings include round footrest rubbers instead of D rests, enclosed battery box and rear wheel adjuster bolts instead of the pull-backs of the earlier bikes. My guess is that it's a mid- or late-'56 book, just before the AMC box came out.

Geek detail - the 1956 workshop manual shows a folding kick start lever, but the parts book lists a non-folding one.

This is scanning is really useful, but I would like to find an earlier featherbed parts book if such exists. Can anyone oblige?

Paul

The other absurd thing about this book is the engine diagram. The engine displayed wears a very early Model 7 cylinder head. Check out the rockers which have one piece spindle/endplates. These were superseded in 1950 by individual rocker spindles and double end plates. Note also the tie bar across the crankcase mouths which had also disappeared years before. Unbelievably, a version of this diagram appeared in the 1960/61 650 parts books causing major confusion due to the standard cylinder head on view. Whereas all 650 engines had the splayed exhaust SS head.

As noted by others, the frame is totally wrong for the year having been replaced in 1955 by a version with the subframe welded in place.

1956 was a change year in many repects. The Model 7 disappeared but the 77 was on horizon using almost the same frame and forks. Gearboxes changed from Laydown to AMC and then back to Laydown for around 200 bikes. The engines got a better camshaft, 376 Monoblocs had arrived the year before and alongwith improved petrol quality made for good reliable machines. But the parts and spares book continued to be nightmares.

hello I think is was down to the plates as examples of the part number section from A to Z funny enough the same plates are In the 650 Manxman parts manual and even the frame is A wideline when by then they gone to Slimline frame and Note the cylinder head is the same as the 1956 parts manual when the First Down daft head went on the very First Norton 650 Manxman 93601-18 shop -7 and every 650 from then on and even the standard 650 and de-lux 650 all had the Down draft cylinder heads,But with single carburetor manifold fitting these were not illustrated in the parts manual and nor are many of the other parts that changed over the years Norton motor's thinking was Norton owners would Intelligent enough to work thing out for themselves in their parts books yours Anna J

Hello note early to later lay down gear boxes had a set of roller bearings in between third and four sleeve gear the later lay down gear boxes these rollers were removed in the 1955 year has the new AMC gear box was on its way in by september 1955 for the 1956 season along with the New model 99 yours anna J

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans