Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1956 Dominator gearbox type

Forums

Hello some advice please to any of you experts out there,I currently own a 58 dominator 88 which I absoulty love,I'm thinking of purchasing a 56,dominator 99 to add to the collection,I was wondering what you all thought best to watch out for when buying,I know this model has the mag & Dynamo set up unlike my coil ignition & alternator,but also it has the earlier gearbox in the 56 are there any issues with these I've been told they aren't as good as the later AMC ones but I wanted to check with the experts any advice greatly appreciated

Hi, The bike has a good reputation with no major issues, The motor is not as smooth as the 88 and is not thought to be as strong as the 88 which was a very reliable engine. If fitted with slotted skirt pistons I would change these.

The AMC box is very similar to the Norton Box (Copied) Biggest difference internally isthat the Norton box has a large thrust washer on the main-shaft sleeve gear but the AMC box doesn't need one as the clutches are different ...this doesn't effect their working at all. The Norton box operates its clutchvia a spiral/worm to apply pressure to the clutch push rod lifter...the AMC has a simple lever and roller arrangement....the Norton method wins here. Worst feature of the Norton box is the absence of a lip type seal on the output shaft and noO rings on the kick-start (it does use a felt washer...can these still be obtained?) orgear lever shaft O ring, so the box is more likely to loose some oil...some owners have modified them to incorporate O rings...Overall the boxes are very similar and are probably the best gearboxes out of all the old classics and at best can feel nearly as slick as a modern bikes box.

Les

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans