Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1956 Dominator fuel tank type

Forums

Hello everyone,could anybody help me I've just bought a 1956 Norton dominator 99 it's a 1956 model but it has the chrome panels on the tank,I believe this came in 1957 so it would be the wrong type,I thought this machine should have the all chrome tank with the painted grey teardrop on the sides please any info would be great also did Eric Oliver,Norton TT racer have a Norton dealership in Staines as I believe the machine was sent to him in Jan 56 !

According to Roy Bacon's book and my memory the 56 was the same as the 55 so you are correct however if you wish to change then the chrome tank sold by Pummy (India) that I bought had very good chrome and was solidly made. However when painting the centre strip it revealed low and high spots which did not show as chromed.

When painting the tank the chrome was shot blasted to give a key and then filled as required. This is a lot of work and expensive so add the cost of the tank and you may wish to stick with your replacement.

Good luck,

Roger

Previously jones_jones wrote:

Hello everyone,could anybody help me I've just bought a 1956 Norton dominator 99 it's a 1956 model but it has the chrome panels on the tank,I believe this came in 1957 so it would be the wrong type,I thought this machine should have the all chrome tank with the painted grey teardrop on the sides please any info would be great also did Eric Oliver,Norton TT racer have a Norton dealership in Staines as I believe the machine was sent to him in Jan 56 !

Hello,

I have two 1956 99s my friend has a 1956 99 all three have removable chrome tank panels.

And yes, Eric Oliver did have a dealership in Staines.

Regards, Ian.

I would guess it depended on the details of the rest of the bike. Laydown gearbox,Peardrop silencers,MCH58 headlight with removable panel,bicycle pedal type footrests, should have had the chrome tank with painted panels.

AMC gearbox,cigar silencers, MCH61 headlight, round footrests,-chrome panel tank

My 1956 99 is all chrome with top and side painted panels and round Norton badges. I think in 1954 NORTON was sign written on the sides of the tank.

Attachments image-jpeg

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans