Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1956 88 headlight ears

Forums

I just had to remove the headlight shell for the first time. There are 2 X 5/16" bolts holding it in. The left headlight ear has a 5/16" clearance hole but the right has a 1/2" hole. I don't remember the headlight being a sloppy fit. Is there supposed to be a sleeve or spacer on the right for the 1/2" hole? I can't see the purpose of it.

Turning my high-powered deductive skills to this, Watson, I would say that somebody fitted indicators, and maybe only had to fit one to the headlamp on the right or off-side because they had a sidecar on, mounting the other on the chair, thus leaving the left hand hole in pristine condition.

Elementary.

I have a spare set of headlight ears and they are identical (factory original). Sooooo I need someone who is acquainted with this particular model.

From a USA club:  "There should be 2 hat shaped spacers that reduce the 1/2 inch hole to accommodate the headlight screws.  Since there are no signs of drilling out, you must be missing one of those hat-shaped sleeves. Since you have a lathe, these are quite easy to make."

Seems to be a wealth of practical knowledge in the US.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans