Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1955 Dominator Tyres

Forums

Hi.  Advise please, I have Dunlop WM2 x 19 alloy rims (front and rear) which had TT100’s on years ago, what tyres and sizes could I now look to fit and would the rear tyre be any wider, the frame is a wideline,  Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Just fitted a set of Avon  SM  old style tyres . Cheap , almost indestructible  and  better in  gravelly lanes than modern semi slick tyres ,   Also  will fit the narrow forks and Swinging arm. And I am not tempted to race with Firestorms !.

fit very well, though they do look rather too modern.  I fitted 90/90 and 100/90 on my bike with standard steel rims. They were tight to fit to the rims, but otherwise fine. I had no clearance issues.

My previous tyres were Dunlop TT100s - on fitting them, I discovered that the front rim was offset to the right.  The rear was offset to the left, and the tyre rubbed on the indent for chainguard clearance.  When the wheels were centralised, the bike (like yours, a 1955 Model 88) had lost its 35mph handlebar flutter.

I have a 90/90 Roadrider languishing in the garage because it wouldn't fit my 7" front forks. The previous Roadrunner model just fitted.

Original was 3.00x19 front and 3.50x19 rear.

Avon SM and Speedmaster seem to suit most as Robert says.

I fitted a 90/90/19 to my standard 7" forks + mudguard.  It's a little close, but there is clearance all round.  Are you sure it can't be achieved with a little adjustment of mudguard etc?

That's worth knowing, Paul. My fork bridge is not original, and that might be the issue.  I have the valanced mudguard...I would love to be able to find the earlier shallower guard but have never seen one in a jumble.

The Valenced mudguard  has a fork bridge that is fully shaped to fit the guard , and even then its really tight.  I can't imagine any pattern replacement being  as good.  I think thats why the earlier wideline "blade" guard will happily take a 3.25 or slightly larger tyre  and the later valenced guard as fitted to the DL and early  650 SS are  listed as 3.00 x19 but will just take a 3.25 if everything is perfect.

No, not in court.  Have you asked him if he has any of that type of mudguard, fork bridge etc?  He makes wideline parts.  I'm not sure I should post his phone number publicly, but send me a message.

Paul

Thanks Paul. I found his number...I'll give it a try.  First I want to get a few test miles on the Dommie now it has the magneto again. I don't want another money pit...and my ribbed front tyre fits...

Thank you all for your response’s and information I required.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans