Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1955 88 Clutch missing

Forums

Had my bike ready for renovation for 18 years with no time to even start it but now i have time. Going over whats missing in my boxes and no clutch parts, the last owner did say he was looking at belt drive so he must have removed it. I want to keep the bike as factory so need a clutch. Not sure what to order for my bike, i need a parts list as seems a few choices. or maybe somebody who has converted to belt and has the old parts redundant.

seen some bits on eBay says amc clutch any good for 1955 88? has double chain should it be single?

Attachments ebay%20clutch%202.jpg ebay%20clutch%203.jpg www.nortonownersclu

If someone can confirm that the clutch is the same as a '55 ES2 I can let you have all the part numbers, Tom.

Previously George Phillips wrote:
If someone can confirm that the clutch is the same as a '55 ES2 I can let you have all the part numbers, Tom.
Cheers George

I believe it is George and I think the same number of friction plates (4) now Mike has confirmed 3 for Model 50.

The clutches changed from 1957 to the AMC design (Much of it interchangeable with the Norton Clutch) inner and outer tags + inserts on the back plate. Change in pressure plate too.

If I were starting from scratch, however, I would go with the later AMC type with the bonded back plate, (Inner tag drive plates) given the choice. (Clutches are fresh on my mind) I asked this question to Dale Middlhurst a few years ago and he said 'AMC every time.' But it all depends what you can get hold of used. Both types are available new but will cost you if you buy the complete clutch.

The choice is yours but the earlier type would be original for you.

Can't help with the AMC clutch, Colin, but should you decide on the Norton one here are the pages from the Parts Book. May have to send the 3 pages separately. Bummer! The files are too large (1mB) and I don't know how to shrink them. Anyone got any clues? George

Previously George Phillips wrote:
And finally (!) No 3 - the picture. You'll have to look at the plate reference then find that in the listing to get the part number. Very Norton. George
Managed to save them george will decipher later cheers

hello these diagrams do not show the clutch mushroom and the two peace clutch rods and you will not find the cover plate that fits around the clutch basket to stop oil getting on to the plates yours anna j

Well spotted Anna. But in case Tom is worried the parts are listed on p1 of the copies as part no. E3/379 - clutch rod - and A2/380 - thrust pin (ie mushroom) but indicated as not shown on the pic. The parts lists often left bits off the pics for some reason. Clarity of pic, I suppose. George

Ooops! Forgot to note that the cover plate (or more correctly, the "clutch spring box") IS shown on the pic as item no. Q19 which is listed on p2 of the copies as part no. D2/400. George

Previously Fritz Wettstein wrote:

Here are the three relevant pages from the 63-68 parts-list.

Fritz

thank seen the drawing before but without the part numbers

Tom

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans