Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1953 model 7 petrol tank

Forums

just scraping through layers of paint on my petrol tank noticed among the rust the tank is chrome underneath. would the tank have been originally painted the same as the one in the video link showing the chrome as i have seen one or two photos of tanks painted all silver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFQCoCqUmoI

Barry

Tank looks correct. Possibly the shape of the silver paint outline is slightly off at the front but there are plenty of photos around in books and I suspect it is correct. The 'tear drop' shape looks correct.

Didn't they drop the chrome during nickel shortage during Korean War? That might explain painted tanks at the period. I have read contemporary journalists complaining about the ridiculous fashion for chromed tanks because they always ended up rusty anyway! Wax polish and a garage helps...rather than leaving it in the street (like most people back in the day!)

I'm not certain about the script on the Norton transfer. Theyplayed about with it lots of times over the years and it might be correct. It looks a bit clumsy tome but I imagine an obsessive restorer probably got it right. Classic Transfers should have the correct one for the early '50s.

There should be a small 'Norton' transfer on top centre of the tank. Usual suppliers have them.

Chrome guards suggests USA. Nothing was too good for the export machines, allegedly. The UK made do with black - possibly with a gold 'Norton' abovethe tip of the rear guard (if it was still used in the 1950's).

Chroming needs polishing of course - and that can make the tank dangerously thin...or new one from India...

thanks for the info David, just having a good look at the tank it seems solid enough. but i think by de rusting inside and removing the chrome and sand blasting to a level to be able to paint it would probably see it off. i think its a case of a replacement tank. i wouldn't mind a new one if i could get one.

Barry

I plated my prewar 16H tank without disaster.. Did not sand blast it though. The polish before plating gives the finish so I doubt if blasting is a good idea. But now that Nitromors has been emasculated it's more problematical to remove paint...slow process. ..

There's been lots of discussion here about Indian tanks recently. Worth using the search on this site.

yes i will give it some thought before i go ahead with anything . i followed and read up on the problems with the new tanks.

theres no rush, the tank is for a project i intend to start in the future when i am old and grey, in that case i will start it tomorrow. lollaugh

It's best if you can retain the original tank as they are unique in that the two halves are asymmetrical when viewed from above. The knee grip swaging is slightly offset from side to side. From memory I think the left side is further forward. I'd have to check my M7 or the spare tank I have in the loft. My '53 is painted, I guess because of the Korean issue at the time.

Indian tanks are symmetrical. Strange world eh!

Cheers

Colin

Colin . you are correct in what you say the swaging is further forward on the left side of the tank. i wonder why they made it that way.

Barry

Previously Barry Carson wrote:

Colin . you are correct in what you say the swaging is further forward on the left side of the tank. i wonder why they made it that way.

Barry

I suspect it was an unidentified screw up. I cannot think of any good reason for this.

Cheers. Colin

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans