Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1953 Model 7

Forums

I am about to start assembling my 1953 model 7. (Engine/Frame No: H7 483XX). Can anyone who has an original machine please post a photo showing how the brake light switch (Lucas Model 22B) is mounted. Most photos only show the timing side. The only photo I have amongst all my literature is the road test from the June 1953 Motor Cycle road test and the photo is not very clear. It looks like the switch is mounted directly to the rear chainguard.

Thanks

Hi Ian,

Does this help?

It is worth noting that if you bike is an early 53 it will not be the same switch. The one shown iscirca mid year 53 on but the mount plate is nearly the same just has an extra hole in it for the smaller, laterswitch.

Jim

Attachments dscn0070-jpg

Might be worth mentioning that the type of switch shown works the opposite way from a later dommy switch (Triumph type??).

Robert,

They were made both ways round so some were pull to make others push to break. When you look at original parts some were marked "A" others "B" to indicate which way they worked. At a glance they look the same but they are made with theoperating tang the other way round.

Jim

Thanks Jim, exactly what I wanted. I have just bought this particular mounting plate off the internet auction site as it matched a tracing I did at Netley Marsh a couple of years ago when last in the UK.

Rechecking my factory records data indicates I gave you the wrong model no:. H12 not H7. (Before someone picks me up on it. It is a Model 7 not a Big 4!!) The bike was made in February 1953 so according to my Norton Factory parts book and Lucas parts lists for 1953 it had a Model 54 Switch (Lucas part no 31281B) and not the 22B used later. Both fit the backing plate exactly however so they can be used interchangably.

Thaks again, Ian

For years the correct type of switch for featherbeds was not availiable and suppliers sent the wrong type (as used on Triumphs) with instructions to mount upside down!,which did not work .With some ingenuity the switches could be dismantled and re-engineered to do the job ,but it was not a simple re-assembly. Pattern switches are now around but are not the best quality and don't last well. Parts branded as genuine Lucas are often not made in the UK.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans