Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1949 ES2 spark plug

Forums

Hi All

My 1949 ES2 has an iron head and seems to require a long reach plug. The recommended plugs are all half inch reach,the long reach plugs being listed for alloy heads

Which plugs do you other ES2 guys use ? Thanks for any info.

Terence

My iron head B31 uses an NGK B6HS (short reach) if that's any help. The long reach equivalent is B6ES. I should imagine your ES2 would use a similar heat range plug.

Hi Gordon.

Many thanks. I will try the B6ES as,despite all the information avaiable in books,the depth of thread in the head requires a long reach plug. I did obtain a B6HS but as there would have been about a quarter of an inch of exposed threads to coke-up I thought better of it.

Best Regards

Terence

Previously terence_terrell wrote:

Hi All

My 1949 ES2 has an iron head and seems to require a long reach plug. The recommended plugs are all half inch reach,the long reach plugs being listed for alloy heads

Which plugs do you other ES2 guys use ? Thanks for any info.

Terence

Hi Roger

I will try N5 and see how I get on. This bike is new to me and I have had a problem with the engine stopping dead after 20-30 mins. running. Have checked fuel flow,which is OK, and before I assume a magneto problem I thought I would try various new plugs.

Best Regards

Terence

I've just come across this thread. Like Terence, I've found that the recommended plugs seem to be short reach ones whereas the thread in the head is clearly for a standard (3/4") plug.

I have fitted a L82C short reach item as recommended by the Green Spark Plug Co but this causes lots of popping and banging.

At least it has given me the opportunity to strip & clean the carb, reset and clean the points, and get the ignition timing correct - it was 5/16" BTDC instead of 5/8"!

Previously ian_soady wrote:

I've just come across this thread. Like Terence, I've found that the recommended plugs seem to be short reach ones whereas the thread in the head is clearly for a standard (3/4") plug.

I have fitted a L82C short reach item as recommended by the Green Spark Plug Co but this causes lots of popping and banging.

At least it has given me the opportunity to strip & clean the carb, reset and clean the points, and get the ignition timing correct - it was 5/16" BTDC instead of 5/8"!

I have found that NKG BR8EIX Iridium performs well, but without a suppressor cap, for my magneto ES2

I have run Champion L86C in my 1950 iron head magneto ignition ES2 for 6 years/3k miles with absolutely no issues whatsoever

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans