Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1948 International Model 30

Forums

Hello all,

I've acquired a 1948 International Model 30, pretty complete and original. It's been slumbering in a garage for at least 34 years, and shows 4800 miles - which may be true mileage, since there is little wear visible to the parts.

My plan is to leave the finish mostly as is, but to get the bike roadworthy. This is non-trivial, as the oil has congealed into a tar-like substance within the engine, and everything rubber has fossilized.

Anyway, I need some help on locating a few parts:

• A11/758 vertical shaft top rubber ring
  • A11/760 vertical shaft bottom rubber ring
  • E3837 special long nut for Magdyno mounting
  • (?) rubber seal within oil pressure tell-tale

I've checked the usual sources (Racing Norton, RGM, NOC Shop, Norvil) without luck. Any ideas?

Failing that, it would be great to know of any substitutes that will work, or even the original dimensions so I could try to fabricate them.

Cheers,

Dave

Attachments 037_2-jpg

First of all Dave you lucky man on acquiring one of those bikes most of us would give our high teeth for an inter. Any way you could try Superseal of mkt Harborough they have thousands of seals in rubber.Failing that make your own as you have the patterns

Regards

Geoff

Dave

Congrats on a very Nice bike !

As i already said Paul Norman has a lot of very Nice parts.

As for the long magneto nut I am also lokking out for that one, an if you find a original pattern I will make you one. If not I think a repro nut might be has from: Stu Rogers, Elm High Road, Wisbech. Tel: 01945 585116

As for the vertcal shaft rubber rings, I have never seen these offered anywhere. However not to worry as there are O- rings to be had that together with a spacer will work even better. Stu might have these too ! The original ones are not as good in the sense that they tend to stick an make life difficult.

Pressure tell tale... I do not know, but as this is the same as 16 H and surely more than 100.000 made should not be too difficult to find. (They do turn up on e-bay from time to time)

I probably do not need to tell you that you need to clean Your engine, oiltank and lines for every trace of old oil as it souns like Yours hve been run on vegetable oil in the past. (Now I did anyway...) You even have to split Your crank to make sure the oilways in the cranckpin are open !

Good Luck With Your Inter, It wil put a grin on Your face when it is sorted.

Regards

Arne

Thanks to all for the help!

Arne - I'd hoped to avoid splitting the crankcases, but decided to go ahead having dismantled everything else. It was a good call, since the brass cage in the timing side main bearing had fragmented.

I found that an ultrasonic cleaner did a good job removing baked-on deposits, without damaging the original silver paint on the crankcases.

Cheers,

Dave

Attachments 005_2.JPG 036.JPG

Hi Dave,

I have been following your thread and looking at your pictures, the crankcases look like they are later replacements as they have the 3 additional bolts that hold the cases together independently of the main bolts and I think these came in around 1951. I also notice there is no year letter stamp before the number 11 on the nearside case. Do you know any more about the bike's history or if it was raced etc.? Regards, Richard.

Richard,

There is actually a 'C' prefix, not well-stamped - see pic. This indicates 1948 production, although the year '1949' is stamped right below. The frame number matches.

Works records show this number being dispatched July 19, 1948 to an American dealer. They indicate fitting with alloy head and barrel options, which the bike has.

I have no direct information on the bike's history, but would be surprised if the cases had been swapped. There's very little evidence of the bike having been worked on (rounded nuts, screw heads etc.). What's the source of your information re. the three extra bolts being introduced in 1951?

Cheers,

Dave

Attachments 135-jpg

Previously david_hartner wrote:

• A11/758 vertical shaft top rubber ring
  • A11/760 vertical shaft bottom rubber ring
  • E3837 special long nut for Magdyno mounting
  • (?) rubber seal within oil pressure tell-tale

I've checked the usual sources (Racing Norton, RGM, NOC Shop, Norvil) without luck. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Dave

I have a vague memory that the seal between vertical shaft chamber and the large nut have a copper/asbestos ring, not a rubber seal. That same memory mutters something about exhaust gaskets. Give one a try.

For sohc parts try Paul Norman or Stu Rogers.

Paul

Paul

That is correct and the seal washer you are refering to is part no: A11/762 wich is not what he is asking for.

Exhaust gasket is same type copper asbestos, but a little larger and ofcourse a different part no.

The rubber rings lives inside the large nuts.

Regards

Arne

Previously david_hartner wrote:

Richard,

There is actually a 'C' prefix, not well-stamped - see pic. This indicates 1948 production, although the year '1949' is stamped right below. The frame number matches.

Works records show this number being dispatched July 19, 1948 to an American dealer. They indicate fitting with alloy head and barrel options, which the bike has.

I have no direct information on the bike's history, but would be surprised if the cases had been swapped. There's very little evidence of the bike having been worked on (rounded nuts, screw heads etc.). What's the source of your information re. the three extra bolts being introduced in 1951?

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

There are a few anomalies with the 3 crankcase bolts. On checking and not relying on memory I have a 1949 500cc engine with the bolts and a 1949 350cc with-out the bolts. I also have a friend with a 1950 350cc Manx with-out bolts, so whether this is a 350/500 variation, I am not sure. Looking at archive photos they were not fitted in 1947, so it seems it was partway into 1948 when theywere firstfitted but only on the 500cc. I apologise if I misled you but hope you will understand the confusion.

Regards, Richard.

Previously arne_eftestol wrote:

Paul

That is correct and the seal washer you are refering to is part no: A11/762 wich is not what he is asking for.

Exhaust gasket is same type copper asbestos, but a little larger and ofcourse a different part no.

The rubber rings lives inside the large nuts.

Regards

Arne

You are right. I did say 'vague memory'....

If I look through boxes and jars,I expect I can find some NOS rubber rings dating to 1954. That's when my father bought his Inter.....

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans