Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1948 ES2 mudguard stays (plunger frame)

Forums

Hello all,

coming to the end of the rebuild which had quite a few of the cycle parts missing. I have a brand new set of pattern mudguards but no stays. I intend to make them myself and would appreciate if someone could measure the length hole centre to hole centre and diameter of the front and rear straight stays.

Also, if you feel up to it, the measurement of the rear stay/lifting loop.

Thanks

Morning,

I picked up front stays from the NOCShop a while back. Not sure if they are still available.

Any chance of some pix of your project. I'm about half way through my '48 ES2 rebuild.

Cheers,

B

Previously Bryon Harvey wrote:

Morning,

I picked up front stays from the NOCShop a while back. Not sure if they are still available.

Any chance of some pix of your project. I'm about half way through my '48 ES2 rebuild.

Cheers,

B

I might manage a few photos later. In the meantime, would it be possible for you to measure the length and diameter of the stays that you have?There aren't any for sale in the shop right now.Cheers

Hi guys I'm almost there with restoring my fathers 1948 ES2 and would love to see some pictures of yours. My email address is jonnykrarup@hotmail.com send me an email and I will send you some of the progress I have made. I have a few little problems to over come. Which I'm looking to get help to do.

Previously jonathan_krarup wrote:

Hi guys I'm almost there with restoring my fathers 1948 ES2 and would love to see some pictures of yours. My email address is jonnykrarup@hotmail.com send me an email and I will send you some of the progress I have made. I have a few little problems to over come. Which I'm looking to get help to do.

Changing the subject of my post jonathan.

I think that it may be possible that if you help me with my problem, maybe I can help you with yours!

Come on fellas, surely cant be that difficult to run a tape measure along the mudguard stays?

Hi Neil

Yes, you are right, running a tape measure is not that difficult. These measurements are from a 1950 plunger frame ES2, not sure if there were any significant changes from 1948.

Front Stays

Length between bolt centres 310mm, diameter 14.3mm. Both ends are flattened, the outer face being squeezed to the inner face. Length of flattened section approx 30mm. The stay is straight up to the flattened end at the mudguard, at which point it bends in towards the guard.

Rear Stays

Length between bolt centres 375mm, diameter 14.3mm. These stays are not straight; they start off parallel to the frame axis, then dog-leg approx 225mm from the plunger end bolt so that the stay bends in to meet the guard. Again the ends are flattened approx 30mm. At the guard end the outer face is squeezed to the inner (same as the front) but at the plunger end the inner face is squeezed to the outer.

Lifting Handle

Much harder to descibe, will require sketch & photo. Preparing for a VMCC run at the weekend so can't do that for you right now.

Hope this gets you started, Ian McD

Previously Ian MacDougall wrote:

Hi Neil

Yes, you are right, running a tape measure is not that difficult. These measurements are from a 1950 plunger frame ES2, not sure if there were any significant changes from 1948.

Front Stays

Length between bolt centres 310mm, diameter 14.3mm. Both ends are flattened, the outer face being squeezed to the inner face. Length of flattened section approx 30mm. The stay is straight up to the flattened end at the mudguard, at which point it bends in towards the guard.

Rear Stays

Length between bolt centres 375mm, diameter 14.3mm. These stays are not straight; they start off parallel to the frame axis, then dog-leg approx 225mm from the plunger end bolt so that the stay bends in to meet the guard. Again the ends are flattened approx 30mm. At the guard end the outer face is squeezed to the inner (same as the front) but at the plunger end the inner face is squeezed to the outer.

Lifting Handle

Much harder to descibe, will require sketch & photo. Preparing for a VMCC run at the weekend so can't do that for you right now.

Hope this gets you started, Ian McD

Excellent Ian. This will get me started.

Many thanks

I also have a 1948 ES2. Must be popular? When making the rear stays, keep them parallel until they pass the rear brake arm then angle them inwards. If not, then when the rear suspension moves up the brake arm will hit the stay.

Also, use the correct half, dished washers inside the mudguard it stops the mudguard from distorting when the bolts are tightened.

I think you can get these from Andy Molnar. And put the stay ends INSIDE the mudguard NOT on the outside.

Attachments No3%20Disc%20226.jpg

Hope you can get the picture. The mudguards are genuine and original items although, the rear light unit is not. It should be a flat jobbie with two hole fixing at the top that fixes to the two bolts holding on the bottom section of the guard and one at the bottom and a rear light at the top R/H corner with a Lucas 110 light. (I think that's the right number ) And there should be a relector on the bottom of the guard under the number plate.

Previously boo_cock wrote:

Hope you can get the picture. The mudguards are genuine and original items although, the rear light unit is not. It should be a flat jobbie with two hole fixing at the top that fixes to the two bolts holding on the bottom section of the guard and one at the bottom and a rear light at the top R/H corner with a Lucas 110 light. (I think that's the right number ) And there should be a relector on the bottom of the guard under the number plate.

Yes, got that . Looks good.

Would you be able to measure the bracket that attaches the front mudguard to the forks?

Thanks

OK this is what I measured today:-

Centre of axle to inside edge of mudguard =12"

Bottom stud on fork leg to outer edge of mudguard =8 1/2"

Front stay centre of holes =12"

Front stand hole to clip =15"

Bottom stud to inside edge of mudguard =5 1/2"

Rear stays hole to hole =14 3/4" There is a slight bend in the middle to accomadate the rear brake arm and adjusting which points up on this model. I hope that all makes some sense?

Happy rebuilds, Boo

Thanks for that.

Can you also tell me the width and thickness of the centre front bracket ( curved plate) please.

Cheers

Previously neil_chalmers wrote:

Thanks for that.

Can you also tell me the width and thickness of the centre front bracket ( curved plate) please.

Cheers

I will have a look over the weekend, but it is about 1 inch by 3/16 ish. will confirm later.

Previously boo_cock wrote:

Mudguard bridge. 7/8" wide and 5/16" thick.

There you go.

Boo

Excellent.Thanks for your help.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans