Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1939 Norton Model 50 Front/Rear Mudguards & Handlebars

Forums

Can anyone advise of where I can get original or replica 1939 Norton Model 50 front and rear mudguards and handlebars?

I am told that a set of 1â handlebars to fit Norton Models 18, 20, 50, possible 16 and CS1 would work. They must be fitted with the mounting brace in the centre.

If anyone is willing to lend me the handlebars (so I can use them as a pattern) I'd be very happy to pay a fee and get you a spare handlebar at the same time. I'm getting pretty desperate to source them!!

Thank you.

Emmalouise - can't help with sources, sorry, but the bar size is 7/8" with rubber cushioned mounts. The rubber bushesare available from Jeff and Alan Hunter (they are a very tight squeeze).

I suspect you will have to make up the bracket and braze it on. That will blue the chrome plate (my old barsare painted black anyway). Might someone suggest silver solder to avoid this? I've no idea ifthat would work, or besafe, or prevent bluing. Nor do I know the effect of chrome plate on the fixing.

Obviously you need thebracket to stop the bars twisting inside the rubber bushes.

You can see the shape of the bracket on the parts list on Vintagenortondotcom.

Other than that - good luck!

I have bought handlebars for my CS1, complete with the U clip & bushes, from Stu Rogers. At one time they were available in both 7/8" & 1", with different thickness of bush to suit. Ideally you need the bar & clip unplated so that you can position the bars to suit you and then braze the clip to the bar, followed by plating. Not sure if Stu is still supplying these, his number is 01945 585116. I have a spare set of 7/8" chromed bars in good condition with the clip riveted on (not a good idea). You could use them as a pattern, or you could de-plate, braze the clip and re-plate. Send me a PM if you are interested.

I was able to buy a NOS front guard from Peter Long at Cornucopia (Germany) about 8 years ago. It was scarce (& expensive) back then and will be even harder to find now. I think Peter is winding the business down but it might be worth asking. http://www.cornucopia-enterprises.de/spares-norton.html

Another place to try might be British Only Austria. I don't see anything suitable listed at the moment but it wouldn't do any harm to ask. http://www.vintage-motorcycle.com/

Ian McD

Emmalouise,is there any chance you would be kind enough to tell me the lead you have for getting your mudguards as I need a rear one for my 1935 Es2.Would be most grateful.Thanks Nick.

Previously emmalouise_stapleton wrote:

Can anyone advise of where I can get original or replica 1939 Norton Model 50 front and rear mudguards and handlebars?

I am told that a set of 1â handlebars to fit Norton Models 18, 20, 50, possible 16 and CS1 would work. They must be fitted with the mounting brace in the centre.

If anyone is willing to lend me the handlebars (so I can use them as a pattern) I'd be very happy to pay a fee and get you a spare handlebar at the same time. I'm getting pretty desperate to source them!!

Thank you.

Good afternoon

Did you have any luck getting hold a pair of 1" bars with the brace in the middle please as I also need a pair pretty urgent

Many thanks

Andy

Good afternoon

Did you have any luck getting hold a pair of 1" bars with the brace in the middle please as I also need a pair pretty urgent

Many thanks

Andy

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans