Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1935 Es2 front rim size /make?

Forums

I have just had a look at my wheel rims (which are painted black)and the front one has Jones wm3 stamped on it.I can't see anything on the rear due to thick paint.The tyre size is 325x19 on both.Is this this correct size rim as I have seen differing explanations on the correct size.They do look to be original.Your thoughts on this would be much appreciated.Thanks.Nick.

Looking at the date of this post, I assume you sorted it elsewhere ? As far as I am aware, rims were WM2 front and rear. The pre-war ES2 I am working on had WM3s, but they weren't original. I remember when I started riding in the late '70's early '80's, a lot of riders thought that putting wider rims/tyres on their bikes was the way to go. So many of the bikes we're working on now aren't original.

Previously tony_baxter wrote:

Looking at the date of this post, I assume you sorted it elsewhere ? As far as I am aware, rims were WM2 front and rear. The pre-war ES2 I am working on had WM3s, but they weren't original. I remember when I started riding in the late '70's early '80's, a lot of riders thought that putting wider rims/tyres on their bikes was the way to go. So many of the bikes we're working on now aren't original.

Hi Tony, no I haven't been sorted yet so thanks for reply.You say that you had wm3 rims too.As stated mine does two and I still think they seem original.I did find out that both Dunlop and Jones rims were fitted to Prewar nortons with the Jones type rarer of the 2 and quite sort after and those are the ones I have on mine.What makes you think that yours aren't original?It seems a bit of a coincidence that we both have the same size.Regards Nick.

The bike I am working on is a bit of a mess, many parts had been changed in the past for sub standard alternatives. The rims had been badly painted and the red stripes were stuck on tape. I have a copy of the factory dispatch record, and there is no mention of different rims fitted. So I am happy they are not original.

I very much doubt they were fitted with wider than wm2 on the front, and 3.00 tyres . My Atlas was fitted with ex Manx alloys and they did not measure as big as wm2's so they have been retired . A sidecar bike would be fitted with the biggest thing they could find room for.

In the "Specifications" appendix of the book "Norton Singles" by Roy Bacon (ISBN 0 85045 485 9) rim sizes are listed. As already said the majority of models were fitted with WM2 front & rear. A few exceptions - WM1 on Model 30 & 40 front, WM3 on 500T rear, WM3 on Big 4 front & rear.

For ES2 1932-1939 only a tyre size is listed - 3.25 x 26. This is more like a beaded edge size (highly unlikely by this date) where the 26 refers to overall diameter so probably a 21" rim. No indication of rim section so doesn't really help the debate. Post war ES2 are 19 " WM2.

Ian McD

The bike I am working on is a bit of a mess, many parts had been changed in the past for sub standard alternatives. The rims had been badly painted and the red stripes were stuck on tape. I have a copy of the factory dispatch record, and there is no mention of different rims fitted. So I am happy they are not original.

Tony,

As you have a 1930's Model you should check the production records. They are a wealth of information as they give details of what was used on a particular bike. Some would have had 3.50 tyres on WM 3 rims if the customer specified them.. Not sure if the Club has these records but when I've been in the UK I've used the originals at the VMCC in Burton-on-Trent. Hope this helps.

regards, Ian

Previously ian_richtsteig wrote:

Tony,

As you have a 1930's Model you should check the production records. They are a wealth of information as they give details of what was used on a particular bike. Some would have had 3.50 tyres on WM 3 rims if the customer specified them.. Not sure if the Club has these records but when I've been in the UK I've used the originals at the VMCC in Burton-on-Trent. Hope this helps.

regards, Ian

Previously nicholas_reeves wrote:

Tony,

regards, Ian

Thank you Ian any information is always gratefully received. Regards Nick.

Previously svein_marken wrote:

In the same book the 1932-39 16H the rims is WM2,and the tyres is 3.25x26".

Regards from Svein.

Thank you Stein for you input. Regards Nick.

The tyres at that time all had a 100% aspect ratio so in this case were 3.25" tall and thus 3.25" top and bottom to the nearest inch = 7"

26 inches minus 7 inches gives the 19 inch rim size.

Tony,

regards, Ian

Hi Ian,

I have a copy of the records, no mention of the rims being different, cheers, Tony.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans