Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1933 Model 55 Main bearing position

Forums

Hi, I am assembling this engine and I am not sure which way the bearings are positioned ? Can anyone provide a simple sketch of the bearings in position on a crankshaft please?

I have two roller bearings and a plain ball race

Thanks Philip

Philip:

I cannot give you an answer specific to your 1933 Model 55 but I had a look at my parts list for 1961/62 ES2 and 50 and it shows the following:

Illus # B64 pn 17704 Mainshaft bearing, driving side (ball) Qty 1

Illus # B65 pn 17702 Mainshaft bearing, driving and timing side (roller) Qty 2

The illustration in my parts list shows one ea. illus #B65 roller on each side, and the illus # B64 ball on the drive side outboard of the #B65 roller with a #B66 distance piece between them.

I would think that your single would be the same arrangement although the part numbers of the bearings in question are sure to be different.

I hope this helps

You can always check with Mike Pemberton

Mike Sullivan

Northern California Club.

Previously michael_sullivan wrote:

Philip:

I cannot give you an answer specific to your 1933 Model 55 but I had a look at my parts list for 1961/62 ES2 and 50 and it shows the following:

Illus # B64 pn 17704 Mainshaft bearing, driving side (ball) Qty 1

Illus # B65 pn 17702 Mainshaft bearing, driving and timing side (roller) Qty 2

The illustration in my parts list shows one ea. illus #B65 roller on each side, and the illus # B64 ball on the drive side outboard of the #B65 roller with a #B66 distance piece between them.

I would think that your single would be the same arrangement although the part numbers of the bearings in question are sure to be different.

I hope this helps

You can always check with Mike Pemberton

Mike Sullivan

Northern California Club.

Thanks Mike,

That is all I needed to know !It's clear now...

Regards

Philip

Hi Philip,

Is your engine 1933 specification or the redesigned 1934 type? The new engine had 3 main bearings and was available from November 1933. The earlier engine only had one bearing on each side and I think these were self-aligning ball bearings to overcome any machining irregularities. If you have the later engine then Mike's answer is correct but check the crank runs free in the bolted up cases before you fit the gears.

Richard.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans