Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1932 International engine sprocket

Forums

Any suggestions where I can source an engine sprocket for my 1932 International 490.

It has a cam type of boss on it, I have seen this described as a cush drive. Sprocket rotates freely on the output shaft and engages through another cam shaped boss engaged by a spring. (such a technical description. I could have said it was black)

Also looking for a primary drive sprocket to fit the clutch, its a 6 spring affair.

20 teeth and 42 teeth for the primary.

I could machine off and weld on the original centres, just wondered if there was a more straightforward route.

kind regards,

Andy

Attachments engine-sprocket-jpg

Estimado Andy: puedes cambiar el engranaje, el Ã?nico problema es la temperatura generada por la soldadura y eliminar el tratamiento tÃ?rmico (la dureza del nuevo engranaje) que quizÃ?s sufra un desgaste prematuro (hay una pequeÃ?a distancia segÃ?n la foto que enviaste).

Esta es mi modesta opiniÃ?n (traducida con Google no hablo inglÃ?s)

Saludos, Gerardo desde Argentina.

Previously Gerardo Zamparutto wrote:

Estimado Andy: puedes cambiar el engranaje, el Ã?nico problema es la temperatura generada por la soldadura y eliminar el tratamiento tÃ?rmico (la dureza del nuevo engranaje) que quizÃ?s sufra un desgaste prematuro (hay una pequeÃ?a distancia segÃ?n la foto que enviaste).

Esta es mi modesta opiniÃ?n (traducida con Google no hablo inglÃ?s)

Saludos, Gerardo desde Argentina.

Thank you for your message. Yes the heat treating is in my thoughts if I need to cut and paste the sprocket teeth, but I guess needs must if I cant find an "off the shelf" solution.

kind regards,

Andy

Hi Andy,

As far as I know, no-one makes these sprockets so it depends if you want to keep the bike original or whether you want to up-date the parts for later ones. This Sturmey Archer transmission was used for 1932 and 3, but was changed for 1934 by fitting the Norton 3 spring clutch with the shock absorber inside. This was used on all models until the mid '50s and will fit onto your bike but you will have to check the chain alignment. The later enginesprocket will fit your main-shaft but check it is the correct Inter sprocket as the Dominator one is very similar but just a bit bigger.

If you want to keep the original set-up you might be able to use an enginesprocket from another make as several machines used this system into the 1950s. The clutch chain-wheelbolts onto the drum so might not be too expensive to have made.

Regards, Richard.

Previously richard_cornish wrote:

Hi Andy,

As far as I know, no-one makes these sprockets so it depends if you want to keep the bike original or whether you want to up-date the parts for later ones. This Sturmey Archer transmission was used for 1932 and 3, but was changed for 1934 by fitting the Norton 3 spring clutch with the shock absorber inside. This was used on all models until the mid '50s and will fit onto your bike but you will have to check the chain alignment. The later enginesprocket will fit your main-shaft but check it is the correct Inter sprocket as the Dominator one is very similar but just a bit bigger.

If you want to keep the original set-up you might be able to use an enginesprocket from another make as several machines used this system into the 1950s. The clutch chain-wheelbolts onto the drum so might not be too expensive to have made.

Regards, Richard.

Thanks Richard.

I am going to try and keep the original set up if possible. Looks like I might have to cut and paste the sprockets.

kind regards,

Andy

Ken McKintosh is a maker of Manx Norton parts in Auckland, New Zealand. He once had a 1932 International, which he was piecing together. I know he managed to get an engine shock absorber sprocket assy. It might be worth contacting him, tho' the bike will be a sore point with him - there was a raid on his workshop and the bike (among others) was stolen and never recovered

Paul

My 16h has 5/8"pitch gears, they have ASA 50, standard chains, i think you can easily get 5/8" gear with the number of teeth you need in agricultural spare parts stores (to later turn and weld them).

Gerardo.

Previously andy_buchan wrote:

Previously richard_cornish wrote:

Hi Andy,

Regards, Richard.

Thanks Richard.

I am going to try and keep the original set up if possible. Looks like I might have to cut and paste the sprockets.

kind regards,

Andy

I seem torememberVespauseda similar cush drive camarrangement. Withmoderntechyou may be able to graft one ito thecenter ofastandardsprocket?

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans