Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1930 frame

Forums

I have to change the front tube between the steering head and the engine on my mod. 18 1937

How is it fastening to the steering head?

GÃ?ran Svensson

Previously wrote:

I have to change the front tube between the steering head and the engine on my mod. 18 1937

How is it fastening to the steering head?

GÃ?ran Svensson

hello this down tube is sweeted in with brass braze-ing top and bottom it will have heat it up untill the brass solder runs out and its not a one man job ether some are a interferance fit ,I hope this Helps you out ,

Hello Goran,

I think what AJD is trying to say is that the old lug built frames were assembled on a large jig with the joints assembled and pinned by hand. The brazed joints were coated with a brass and flux mixture before assembly and pinning, this whole assemblage was heated in a very large oven until the brazing mix melted and the joint was brazed, this worked well due to the large contact surfaces of the lugs and tubes, much like a sweat soldered plumbing joint only at much higher temperatures.

A oxy-acetylene torch with a rosebud tip will certainly be hot enough, its the little locating pins that could be a problem, if you can drill these out before using the torch it may still be fiddly but workable.

Regards,

Albert.

Thanks I will give it a try.

My problem is to find a frame to my 1938 600cc

I have one frame from a 16H and one frame from an ES2. The problem is that the ES2 frame are not complete so I planned to use the top tube with the steeringhead and the lug under the seat to fit in the 16H frame

GÃ?ran

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans