Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1925 Model 14 rear brake

Forums

Can anybody tell me if the rear brake on my model 14 project sould have a seven or eight inch brake and could anyone supply any dimentions for the rear wheel as i have been unable to find one so my next move will be to make one or modify a standard wheel.

Would it be an Enfield hub being that early? If so a mate of mine makes the 8inch brake drums to go on them, very nice too. I have one of his drums on my 1930's inter and he's currently making me a one off for a 1937 Tr***ph special I'm working on. Make for a much better brake as they are made from cast iron rather than just pressed steel. Can put you in touch if you get the rest of it and just need a drum.

Andy

Thanks Andy

Yes a brake drum would be a good start but the width of the wheel overall will still be needed. I believe the spockes will be fixed directly onto the drum but your mate might have done something like this before.

Thanks Marcus

Hi Marcus

I think the early ones have the brake on one side and a sprocket on the other, its an 8inch brake so the sprocket would need to be huge to go around it. I don't know that much about them, but I should see him at Kempton at the weekend so I'll ask him if they will suit your bike then and let you know.

Andy

Hi Marcus

Spoke to John on saturday and he confirmed the brake drum should be on the oposite side to the sprocket with that type of drum. It's an 8inch one that fits Broughs and some Nortons but wasn't sure about yours specifically. If you can get some more details about what the hub should be like he can help you with a drum.

Regards

Andy

Previously andy_marks wrote:

Hi Marcus

Spoke to John on saturday and he confirmed the brake drum should be on the oposite side to the sprocket with that type of drum. It's an 8inch one that fits Broughs and some Nortons but wasn't sure about yours specifically. If you can get some more details about what the hub should be like he can help you with a drum.

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy

Find attatched a page from the norton parts book for 1925 .2661 is the standard hub 2666/2668/2669 all are four speed models rear hubs . I have a enfield wheel with a 7 inch brake which i can cut for the sprocket side but dont have an eight inch drum. so we will see if your mate John can help.

thanking you Marcus

Attachments model-14-rear-hub-jpg

Marcus

The ones my mate does don't have a spoke flange on them. So would need to bolt onto a cotton real type drum. Which looks different to the picture in your parts book. What is you're email address and I can send you his contact details so you can talk directly to him.

Andy

Previously andy_marks wrote:

Marcus

The ones my mate does don't have a spoke flange on them. So would need to bolt onto a cotton real type drum. Which looks different to the picture in your parts book. What is you're email address and I can send you his contact details so you can talk directly to him.

Andy

Hi Andy

My work email is deutscherengineering@gmail.com

Any input to my project is always welcome.

Thanks Marcus

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans