Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Silencer hanger Dominator 99 1957

Forums

I'm about to make hangers for the silencers using 4 mm stainless steel strip.

Can anyone help me with the dimensions of a silencer hanger bracket ( between the pillion footrest and the two 5/16 BSF bolts in the silencer) and include the amount of offset and hole center measurements

Thanks

As the pipes all vary it would be better to wait till you have them. Watch out for silencers hitting the frame if not far enough back and kickstart hitting the pipe . a bit of upsweep on the silencer looks far better than droopy.

Previously robert_tuck wrote:

As the pipes all vary it would be better to wait till you have them. Watch out for silencers hitting the frame if not far enough back and kickstart hitting the pipe . a bit of upsweep on the silencer looks far better than droopy.

Custom made. Pretty tight tolerances. I have got new pipes and silencers.

Thanks for the advice

Previously richard_evans wrote:

Can anyone help me with the dimensions of a silencer hanger bracket ( between the pillion footrest and the two 5/16 BSF bolts in the silencer) and include the amount of offset and hole center measurements

Thanks

Featherbed Dominators are odd in that the silencers are perfectly horizontal. You can verify this from all the advertising literature that shows up in Google. (Sportsters are purposely droopy like someone accidentally stood on them.)

My silencers may have been swapped for later ones but the bolts are 5/16 cycle thread. You should double check.

I made my mounts by holding the silencer up where I wanted it and scratching through the mount hole with a scriber. I made sure that the head pipes were meeting the exhaust port squarely (this is what really matters).If I had had someone else's measurements I would have used these as a starting point only. I hope that is what you are planning.

Another thing, I used 1/4" alloy (6mm) thinking it would take longer to crack through than steel. I may be wrong about that.

Previously richard_evans wrote:

Thanks

As it happens I've got my Mercury silencers (with the original Norton hanger brackets) on the bench at the moment so here goes. The material is 1 inch X 0.1925 inch mild steel bar. It is probably 3/16 inch thick (0.1875 inch) with the extra attributed to the black stove enamel. The overall length is 4 inches. The top hole (footrest) is 3/8 inch clearance centred 0.5 inch from the top edge. That centre is also used for the rounding of the top surface. The silencer holes are 5/16 inch clearance with the lower hole centred 0.5 inch from the bottom edge. Again this point is used as the radius for the bottom rounding. The higher hole is 1 5/16 inch from the other centre. Obviously if your silencers are pattern and don't closely follow the original you may need to adjust this dimension. The offset on the bracket starts 1 1/4 inch from the footrest end and the offset is the thickness of the material (3/16 inch). You will note that since the Brexit vote I have reverted to imperial measurements.... Only joking ! I never changed over. Cheers, Howard

Remember that Wideline pillion footrest positions, and therefore silencer mounting positions, are different from those on Slimlines; of which the Mercury was the last; so it would not be wise to use the dimensions of one for the other. The pillion footrest brackets are much farther forward on Wideline than on Slimline frames. Thus whilst the correlation between silencer and mount may be the same on each, it may well not be.

Previously ian_cordes wrote:

Remember that Wideline pillion footrest positions, and therefore silencer mounting positions, are different from those on Slimlines; of which the Mercury was the last; so it would not be wise to use the dimensions of one for the other. The pillion footrest brackets are much farther forward on Wideline than on Slimline frames. Thus whilst the correlation between silencer and mount may be the same on each, it may well not be.

Amazingly, they just moved the muffler back 3 - 4 inches to make the mount line up with the pillion footrest. Compare these 2 pics:

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/norton/norton_dominator_88.htm

http://carinsuranceav.com/photo/im/norton-dominator-650/06/default.htm

Jonathon. It certainly looks that way, but our OP would be reassured if he knew the hanger brackets have the same part numbers. Do they have the same offset, for example? As I said in my previous post, they may be the same on each, but.....

I am not convinced. Look at the difference in the relationship between the silencers and the rear wheel spindle; quite different. Also, neither of those bikes are completely standard;see the drilled front brake, mudguards and seat on the 88, and I do not recognize the curve of the downpipes on the 650..... just sayin'....!

Previously ian_cordes wrote:

Jonathon. It certainly looks that way, but our OP would be reassured if he knew the hanger brackets have the same part numbers. Do they have the same offset, for example? As I said in my previous post, they may be the same on each, but.....

I am not convinced. Look at the difference in the relationship between the silencers and the rear wheel spindle; quite different. Also, neither of those bikes are completely standard;see the drilled front brake, mudguards and seat on the 88, and I do not recognize the curve of the downpipes on the 650..... just sayin'....!

I make no claim that any of the parts interchange. After all, I make my own hangers, as I said. And if the OP is sensible he will also make many trials and many errors, not just plump for a likely part #.

That is all very helpful thank you very much.

It's obviously not as straight-forward as it seems, but there is plenty of advice which will be helpful. The threaded holes in the silencer I have (which I bought about fifteen years ago), have 5/16 BSF threads not Cycle Threads.

You will gather that I am reviving a project which has remained dormant for quite a long time but complete except for more minor detail like this.

Now fabricated silencer hangers on both sides from 20mm x 4mm stainless strip, which look neat and have plenty of strength.

Quite a time consuming business in order to get the clearances on the offside for the frame, silencer and kickstarter. Even more precise on the nearside to clear the frame, silencer and brake pedal.

Finished hangers not identical by any means. Offset by a distance equal to there thickness. Offset achieved by cold bending in a vice because there was no acute angle involved. 5/16 inch holes drilled accurately using a drilling machine. Fine tuning and adjustment using stainless steel washers which may be replaced with distance pieces in due course.

Thought it would be useful to let you know how I got on and to assure you that the advice was invaluable.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans