Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Roadster 750 oil tank cover question

Forums

Hi

The oil tank cover on my 1972 750 roadster is attached with 2 bolds at the top but between the cover and tank there are 2 spacers which are 8mm in height and sit between the tank and cover with the 2 bolds going through them and raising the cover slightly. Iâm only questions this as I have mislaid one of the spacers and cannot find the spacers on any Norton web sites or parts manuals and now thinking that the previous owner made this modification for whatever reason. I have attached a picture of the spacer and look forward to see if this was a one off mod or standard on some models.

Many thanks

Attachments oil-tank-cover-spacer-pdf

I have a 72 Roadster and its fiberglass side panel has 2 hard rubber or plastic spacers bonded to the side panel under the top, one say 10mm thick and the other 8mm. So they look to be part of the panel so likely unavailable separately.

Previously neil_renwick wrote:

Hi

The oil tank cover on my 1972 750 roadster is attached with 2 bolds at the top but between the cover and tank there are 2 spacers which are 8mm in height and sit between the tank and cover with the 2 bolds going through them and raising the cover slightly. Iâm only questions this as I have mislaid one of the spacers and cannot find the spacers on any Norton web sites or parts manuals and now thinking that the previous owner made this modification for whatever reason. I have attached a picture of the spacer and look forward to see if this was a one off mod or standard on some models.

Many thanks

Mine never had any due to the PO's bodging. I use nylon washers, two at the rear and one at the front with each being 1/8". Equal spacing causes the lower edge of my cover to contact the front down tube. Just sit the cover on something similar and make sure the clearance to the tubes is same front and back.

Just checked a steel cover from an 850 which used the same oil tank, it has the same spacers but in steel and seem to be welded to the side panel, one is 11.6mm proud of the cover and second is 6.6mm proud.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans