Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Oil Pressure Relief Valve on 1966 650SS

Forums

I have been recommisioning my 650SS to the point where it is running satisfactorily, apart from a tendency to produce blue smoke from the exhaust. I hadn't noticed it before, but that was several years ago. The barrels were re-sleeved back to standard some years ago too, but the bike has done very few miles since. Compression is reasonably good, which should mean the bores and rings are OK, so I've had a look at the oil pressure relief valve to make sure it wasn't stuck in one position (my thoughts here are connected to too much oil being forced into the head, causing excess oil to find it's way into the cylinders).  I have read some comments on the relief valve which suggests that the shims are adjusted so that the valve just about rattles when shaken. There are no shims on my relief valve (or rather, the bike's). All I have is the valve body, with gauze filter, the piston, and spring, the body nut and two copper washers. Is this all I should expect, or am I missing some shims? I have a Haynes manual from about 1980 or so, and the exploded view of the engine which shows the relief valve doesn't show any shims.

Any advice would be gratefully accepted.

If you have the high pressure head feed you need to check that the head is not being overoiled by the rocker spindles oil holes facing the wrong way. . They need to face away from the oil holes in the rockers.  Even with the correct set up you may find you need commando guides with oil seals on the inlets .

Sometimes they need a few thousand miles to bed in fully , my Dommy changed a lot after a good belt around a race track!.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans