Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Norton ES2 1939 oil in timing case

Forums

Good evening

Did a restauration of my engine of the 1939 es2.

Bearings, piston, new valves, springs etc...

Had oil los before the restauration at the timing chain.

I also placed a new andover oil pump. But she is still leaking  (too much) of oil through the little tube at the back of the timing cover.

Oil is coming through the hole of the  lowest bolt of the timing cover. Added picture.(you can see it when you start without the cover on it.

Can I put a little seal there and lubricate the chain every now and than myself or is it important for the engine pressure ???

I think it can loose pressure at the other site of the engine through the litte breather  valve.

Who can give me some advice?

Thanks

Dirk

Any oil in the magneto chain area is passing the inlet cam bush. Is the bush badly worn, incorrect or wrongly fitted ?

The exhaust cam bush which is entirely within the timing chest has oil grooves along the whole length of the bush. On the inlet bush which is only intended to pass oil mist onto the chain, the grooves stop about halfway. If the bushes have been swapped then far too much oil will pass. Otherwise, it's likely to be a wear problem.

Tomorrow i ll look but today i let the cover of and started the bike and oil comes  through the hole of the bolt  beneath and the middle. 

There are also made two cuts towards the bolt so oil can pass. Maybe its to much. Tomorrow i ll put two o rings to check it. I ll Sent a foto tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Dirk

Hi Dirk,

All the above answers are relevant, but even if the inlet cam bush is very worn the oil should not leak so quickly, unless you have the wrong bush fitted. When you fitted the new oil pump did you check the that fibre washer that fits between the pump and the timing cover was the correct thickness ? This should hold the cover away, when you hold it by hand, by a half millimetre so when you tighten the screws the washer is slightly crushed to form an oil-tight seal. If the fibre washer is missing or not thick enougth the oil will spew out into the chest and not to the big-end bearing. You should also check the oil is returning to the tank O.K. which should be a dribble at tick-over. Another possibility could be the spring in the brass big-end feed quill that runs in the end of the main-shaft which could be missing or broken and allowing oil to leak into the chest.

You should remove the timing cover and check the washer, the pressure release valve, the crank-shaft quill and, if possible, replace the cam-wheel bushes. Also check the engine breather behind the engine sprocket is clear and the ball is free to move so you do not get excessive crankcase pressure.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans