Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

New 961

Hi all spoke to Clem at the factory today about a factory visit this Friday and buying one of the anniversary cafe racer but seem to read nothing but negative posts here about the bikes.

Really beginning to get concerned about the reliability of these bikes but it only seems to be on this site or am i wrong.

Been a N O C for 40 years but beginning to wonder if i am doing the right thing

john clark

Previously john_clark wrote:

Hi all spoke to Clem at the factory today about a factory visit this Friday and buying one of the anniversary cafe racer but seem to read nothing but negative posts here about the bikes.

Really beginning to get concerned about the reliability of these bikes but it only seems to be on this site or am i wrong.

john clark

Hi John, I've ordered a 961 Commando anniversary Sport in Manx silver for delivery on March 1st, I think that the early problems they had with these bikes should have all been ironed out now. There seems to be a slight problem with fueling while the bikes are new due to having to comply with the latest emission regs but it seems to be put right at the first service when they re-map the ECUafter the running in period. I'm not anticipating any problems and if there is something it will be covered by the 2 year warranty, Any new machine can suffer from problems, I had a Honda ST Pan European that I bought new that had to come home on a break-down truck after 14 miles. Turned out the alternator was faulty from new. If the mighty BIG H can break down from new. I'm sure Nortons are allowed the odd teething trouble now and then. Go on, get your cheque book out..... You know you want to. Cheers Big Al Shenstone branch Sec.

Hi John, I can understand your position, I've been dithering for ages now over buying a new 961, due in no small way to concerns over reports of problems with the bikes reliability.

It's not this site however which gives me the jitters, reading the Access Norton site scares the hell out of me!

I'm pretty good with cars (having always owned British cars throughout my life!) but I don't know a great deal, apart from routine maintenance, about motorcycles because with years of owning Hondas I've never really needed to. (Had a BSA A65 Star in the '70's which was great and no trouble at all and then an oil in frame Bonneville which was so bad I got rid of it after three months.

I realise the 961 is not a mass produced bike and I'm quite happy to accommodate some of its quirks and invest a little of myself into it but some of those guys on the Access Norton site really are amazing. They deal with leaking starter motors, seized rocker arms, broken bottom yokes etc. etc and take it all in their stride and then as often as not come up with their own solutions. What do you do if you have downshifting problems? - why you design a new shift linkage of course! - truly amazing and I take my hat off to the skills and ingenuity of some of those members. I saw that one member even rigged up a camera so he could see exactly where his oil was disappearing on the move - brilliant!

I can see that most issues are with early models but I'm noticing that more than a few Mk11 owners are now starting to report problems. It would be nice to believe that the very latest 2018 models are now fully sorted, although if I had the skills of some Norton owners it wouldn't bother me so much.

Hi Alan, yes mate know what you mean i have had 16 new Mercedes as my wife has a very god job with them all top of the range the last two were an absolute nightmare a 500s class rusted before my eyes new panels , changed that for a 5.5 SL AMG horrendous thing now got a Range Rover which has never missed a beat love it.

I remember the 70s when no matter what Brit bike/car produced our press would moan about it seems to be a Brit thing ?

I am having mine in Manx silver spoke to Clem today about extras polished frame , top yoke various carbon parts cannot wait mate.

We are going to the factory on Friday to see Susie and Clem so will be ordering the bike then been told to expect 6 week delivery so wil been good time for summer.

My bought me a 1972 GT 750 for my 60 birthday 2 years ago its totally original as was kept in a flat in manhattan since 1976 in a private collection I had the engine rebuilt but otherwise as new tool bag is stallion its plastic bag

I had one when we first meet 1972 has a lot to answer for.

If your ever around Silverstone get in touch could maybe meet up

Cheers

John

To ease your minds a little , I'vegot a Mk 1 961 Sport modelordered Dec 2010 and delivered Oct 2012 ,nowwith 3,000 miles on the clock. Have had no problem with it at allother thanone failed flasher unit and two failed relays (main beam and starter) - all low cost sub-supplier electronic components and an easy 5 minute job to replace. Keep spares of these in case.

Louder twin pipes fitted after a few hundred miles , 500 mile service by Norton with a remap ,and another full service by them at 1500 miles.

Previously james_fanning wrote:

To ease your minds a little , I'vegot a Mk 1 961 Sport modelordered Dec 2010 and delivered Oct 2012 ,nowwith 3,000 miles on the clock. Have had no problem with it at allother thanone failed flasher unit and two failed relays (main beam and starter) - all low cost sub-supplier electronic components and an easy 5 minute job to replace. Keep spares of these in case.

Louder twin pipes fitted after a few hundred miles , 500 mile service by Norton with a remap ,and another full service by them at 1500 miles.

A fairly early model, that's reassuring. I've read the fuel pump relay is also prone to failure so maybe keep a spare one of those.

To further ease your mind. I have a May 2016 mk2 cafe racer. Now with 2500 miles and it's been a complete pleasure. Changed to sports exhausts and a remap at 500 miles. This transformed the bike. Jason

john clark

Hi ya John , yes u r doing the right thing, my mk2 is 2 years old next month , took it to USA & Canada summer of 2016 for 10 weeks, 8500 Miles, had it serviced twice there , experienced waterfall type rain storms & 40 plus degrees in deserts & bike was fine , here itâs is in Vermont

Attachments faf5838a-1d61-43cb-b566-70a1b7c91e6f-jpeg

I've ordered a 50th edition Sport in black, just been informed it's going in to build, will have it registered on an 18 plate in March, can't wait...!!

Two year warranty and AA personal membership should sort any potential issues IF there are any??

Hi all, well have gone and ordered my bike a Anniversary Cafe Racer due for delivery in March.My wife and i visited the factory yesterday and met the staff really great people.

Thought the factory resembled the old Aston Martin factory in Newport Pagnell same way of operating i have often considered the 961 to be a motorcycling version of Aston Martin.

Thanks to everyone here for your kind advice and help but especially to Clive Myad who has been a wonderful guide on advice and specs for the bike.

Only problem now is waiting for delivery of the bike.

Thanks to everyone.

John Clark.

Sounds like lots of new bikes being bought and on the road. Might be time for some to arrange a meet up. I tried this before with moderate success. Anyone fancy taking on the challenge? I will ride anywhere.

Hi all, well have gone and ordered my bike a Anniversary Cafe Racer due for delivery in March.My wife and i visited the factory yesterday and met the staff really great people.

Thought the factory resembled the old Aston Martin factory in Newport Pagnell same way of operating i have often considered the 961 to be a motorcycling version of Aston Martin.

Thanks to everyone here for your kind advice and help but especially to Clive Myad who has been a wonderful guide on advice and specs for the bike.

Only problem now is waiting for delivery of the bike. Thanks to everyone.

John Clark.

Well done John, my bike was built early January with a pick-up date of March 1st, Sounds like there is a small group of us NOC members picking up on the same day. Perhaps we could arrange some sort of group photo outside the Norton factory. Cheers Big Alan, Shenstone branch sec.

Previously graham_leblond wrote:

Sounds like lots of new bikes being bought and on the road. Might be time for some to arrange a meet up. I tried this before with moderate success. Anyone fancy taking on the challenge? I will ride anywhere.

Hi ya Graham

yep sounds like a plan, Iâll throw a few potential meets the hat , âbosworth tea rooms â finchingfield, Essex, the cafe at box hill Surrey, on a Sunday from March onwards good , hereâs in anticipation, Richard

Hi all i

I am a member at Silverstone circuit want about if we can get some of us interested in a meeting there maybe British Superbikes.

Richard Thank you for volunteering ;) I will be there

Well thatâs good, may be appropriate now to move this potential catch up meet to another thread on NOC ,so Iâll put the request out shortly, Sunday 25th March seems a good day as itâs the first Sunday of clocks going forward & lighter for the ride home ,so anyone awaiting a new 961,or just got one ,more pictures & stories please

Previously richard_pearce wrote:

Richard Thank you for volunteering ;) I will be there

Well thatâs good, may be appropriate now to move this potential catch up meet to another thread on NOC ,so Iâll put the request out shortly, Sunday 25th March seems a good day as itâs the first Sunday of clocks going forward & lighter for the ride home ,so anyone awaiting a new 961,or just got one ,more pictures & stories please

I like the idea of a meet-up thread. Roll on a nice long warm summer.....

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans